This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2725 / 51°16'21"N
Longitude: -2.4145 / 2°24'52"W
OS Eastings: 371182
OS Northings: 152677
OS Grid: ST711526
Mapcode National: GBR MZ.022P
Mapcode Global: VH975.38FT
Entry Name: Retaining Walls and Associated Garden Features on South and East Sides of Ammerdown House
Listing Date: 25 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177422
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267919
Location: Kilmersdon, Mendip, Somerset, BA3
Civil Parish: Kilmersdon
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
6/l36 Retaining walls and
associated garden features
on south and east sides of
Retaining walls, parapets, copings, steps, piers, gates, pool, figures and ornaments of parterre, yew garden and connecting paths. Begun mid C19; much altered and remodelled by Sir Edwin Lutyens after 1901, finished by c1920. On south and east side of house a lawned parterre, ground falls away to south, coursed and squared rubble retaining walls with dressed stone copings; walling to east facing yew garden, similar construction. Paved walk directly adjacent to house. Two sets of stone steps on broad path leading eastward to yew garden; steps semi-circular on plan, of dressed stone with half-round nosings, low flanking piers; one pair capped by enriched stone urns, the other by seated stone
mythical winged beasts. To centre of south lawn a sundial on a stone vase pedestal; on east lawn a figure of Mercury on a stone drum pedestal. The eastern part of the parterre is bounded on north side by an elevated pergola on concrete
Tuscan columns, which leads from a back door of the house; at its east end a small stone figure, again on a drum pedestal. Path from parterre leads down flight of stone steps, flanked by ball finials, into yew rotunda. Sculptured hedges supported on low coursed and squared rubble retaining walls, some copings. At centre of rotunda a circular stone- lined pool with carved bowl which forms a fountain. Four Classically garbed romantic Coadstone figures on concrete plinths look on. At east side of rotunda a pair of C17 ashlar gate piers with moulded caps and ball finials, wrought-iron gate; these piers frame a view of the adjoining parkland. To north of rotunda a circular rose garden, again enclosed by yew, coursed and squared rubble retaining walls, bronze astralobe on stone vase pier. Broad path on north-south axis leads to Orangery (qv), 3 flights of stone steps, cast-iron gates at exit from rotunda. South end of this path terminates in concealed flights of stone steps which lead down into the park, reconstituted stone figure on drum plinth looks on. On west side of path to Orangery 2 further statues on plinths and sundial with ball finial on a column. Although these items are scattered over quite a wide area they form an important group; therefore they are listed as a single entry rather than as individual items. (Country Life, Feb 16, March 2, and March 9, 1929).
Listing NGR: ST7118252677
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings