This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9622 / 50°57'43"N
Longitude: -3.1418 / 3°8'30"W
OS Eastings: 319906
OS Northings: 118701
OS Grid: ST199187
Mapcode National: GBR LZ.MPVX
Mapcode Global: FRA 469K.PSN
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177574
English Heritage Legacy ID: 271040
Location: Pitminster, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Pitminster
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
9/93 Church of St Michael
Parish church. Tower C14, rest C15 extensively restored c1855 when chapel added, chancel
arch rebuilt, nave crenellated and church largely refenestrated, 1872 porch converted to
vestry, early C20 refitted, 1960s reroofed. Roughcast over rubble, exposed plinth to
tower and buttresses, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower now entrance, 3-bay nave,
south porch now vestry, north chapel now organ bay, chancel. Crenellated 2-stage tower,
diagonal buttresses to lower stage,string course with gargoyles, 2-light
trefoil-headed bell-openings with wooden boards in imitation of Somerset tracery,
string course, 3-light west window without cusping, moulded arched west doorway, C19
door, square stair turret reaching to upper stage, crenellated nave, 3-light windows
under square hoodmoulds flanking single storey gabled porch, lancets on returns,
4-centered moulded arch doorway blocked with inserted upper section of 2-light window,
2-light windows under square hoodmoulds to north and south sides of chancel, 3-light
east window, 2-light windows in nave flanking crenellated chapel, 3-light north
window and 2-light on return. Interior: rendered, C19 chamfered chancel arch and
chapel arch, C19 4-centred arch to vestry, plain C14 tower arch with original pointed,
moulded, stair-turret doorway and west doorway. C19 roofs: chancel roof with ornate
carved wall plate continued as end truss, C19 principal rafter roof to nave. The
notable feature of the interior is the wealth of carved woodwork, mostly early C20 and
executed by A E Eastwood of Leigh Court (qv) and members of the local woodworking
class. Mr Eastwood who held the living and was Lord of the Manor died in 1949 aged 89.
The panelled reredos were designed by Bligh Bond. Carved bench ends and fronts,
carved pulpit and lectern, the latter incorporating old panelling as does the
panelled dado in chancel. Mid C20 panelled dado to tower. Norman circular font with
remains of cable moulding. Stained glass including east window of 1914 attributed to
Arthur Tower. Small brass chandeliers donated 1914. The C19 alterations were mainly
the work of the rector, the Rev Tucker who held the living, was Lord of the Manor and
lived at Leigh Court. He died 1870. It is interesting to trace the close relationship
between the lordship of the manor at Leigh Court and the living.
(Photograph in NMR; Anon, St Michaels Church, Angersleigh, not dated).
Listing NGR: ST1990618701
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings