This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8051 / 52°48'18"N
Longitude: -2.6527 / 2°39'9"W
OS Eastings: 356092
OS Northings: 323261
OS Grid: SJ560232
Mapcode National: GBR 7M.WB56
Mapcode Global: WH9CF.7R1D
Plus Code: 9C4VR84W+2W
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 11 August 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178013
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260061
Location: Moreton Corbet and Lee Brockhurst, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Moreton Corbet and Lee Brockhurst
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Moreton Corbet St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 5623-3723 MORETON CORBET C.P. MORETON CORBET
18/67 The Old Rectory
House, latterly rectory. Probably C15 or C16 with C17 additions, c.1840
alterations and addition, and mid-C19 additions. Rendered timber frame,
partly rebuilt and extended in red brick; plain tile roofs. Range
of 3 framed bays with later parallel range to north-east and further
additions to north-west. One storey and attic and 2 storeys. Four
large timber framed eaves dormers, one C19 to left with planted timbers
and 2-light diamond-leaded casement and three C17 to right with C19
three-light metal casements, jettied gables with moulded bressumers
and carved brackets, and decorative framing (that to right with intersecting
diagonal framing and 2 to left rendered with painted imitation framing).
Large brick ridge stack off-centre to left and stack consisting of
2 diagonally-placed shafts to left-hand C19 addition; rear range with
integral brick end stacks and brick ridge stack off-centre to left.
2-window front; 2- and 3-light segmental-headed wooden casements.
Roughly central half-glazed C19 door and rendered C19 gabled porch
with pair of C20 boarded doors. Mid-C19 service wing projecting at
right-angles to left terminating in a pair of former cottages with
central brick ridge stack. Small C17 attic window with 2 diamond mullions
in right-hand gable end. Rear: c.1840 range. Dentil brick eaves cornice.
3 bays; first-floor wooden cross windows and ground-floor 3-light mullioned
and transomed wooden casements extending to floor level. Interior;
front range: pairs of chamfered spine beams. Large open fireplace
in left-hand ground-floor room with dressed grey sandstone reveals
and cambered chamfered wooden lintel and large open fireplace in central
ground-floor room with chamfered grey sandstone reveals, chamfered
wooden lintel, reset C19 glazed tiles, and rectangular stone panel
in stack to left. Collar and cambered tie-beam trusses with queen
struts, end truss with v-struts_also; pairs of purlins with wind braces.
Wattle and daub infill panels. Circa 1840 range: dining room has introduced
C18 fireplace with lugged architrave, carved frieze and dentil cornice
and drawing room has introduced late C18 fireplace with central urn
and husk swags. Three-flight c.1840 staircase around rectangular well
with winders at foot, open string with cut brackets, stick balusters
(2 per tread), and curtail; ceiling rose; panelled window shutters.
There is evidence that the house stands within a moated site (see ditch
to north-east). Various garden features (not included on this list)
incorporate fragments of dressed and carved masonry, possibly the result
of restorations of and alterations to the neighbouring Church of Saint
Listing NGR: SJ5609223261
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings