This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8039 / 52°48'14"N
Longitude: -2.6522 / 2°39'8"W
OS Eastings: 356125
OS Northings: 323131
OS Grid: SJ561231
Mapcode National: GBR 7M.WJ7T
Mapcode Global: WH9CF.7S89
Plus Code: 9C4VR83X+H4
Entry Name: Moreton Corbet Castle
Listing Date: 28 October 1960
Last Amended: 29 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366802
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260062
Location: Moreton Corbet and Lee Brockhurst, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Moreton Corbet and Lee Brockhurst
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Moreton Corbet St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 5623-5723 MORETON CORBET C.P. MORETON CORBET
18/68 Moreton Corbet Castle
28.10.60 [formerly listed
as Moreton Corbet
(Ruins of Hall and
Castle, now ruined. Circa 1200 and C14, altered and enlarged in the
mid- and late C16 (dated 1576 and 1578) for Sir Andrew Corbet (d.1579)
and Robert Corbet (d. 1583). Red and yellow/grey sandstone; dressed
stone and ashlar. Roughly-triangular plan. Keep of c.1200 to south-
west, C14 gatehouse to north altered in late C16, C12 east range altered
in the 1560's, and L-shaped south range dated 1578. Keep: square plan.
3 storeys. Chamfered plinth, and set-back pilaster buttresses, returning
to square at top and bottom (cf.Wattlesborough Castle. Alberbury with cardeston C.P. -
not included on this list). Large first-floor fireplace with remains
of hood and octagonal shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. Curtain wall:
section of wall between keep and gatehouse with chamfered plinth and
bastions at intervals. Gatehouse: 2 storeys. Chamfered plinth. Central
continuously chamfered archway with remains of C16 first-floor window
above. First-floor chamfered rectangular side windows. Carved elephant
and castle and datestone: "S A C/1579" above entrance. East range:
inserted C16 windows, and fireplaces internally. South range: L-plan.
2 storeys and attic. 1:3:1:3:1 bays. Moulded plinth. Applied orders,
Doric to ground floor and Ionic to first floor, with carved pedestals
(beasts at corners) and full entablatures (Doric with carved devices).
Parapet with shell lunettes and obelisks with figures (now mostly gone).
3-light stone mullioned and transomed windows. Projecting bays with
5-light mullioned and transomed windows and shaped gables with triangular-
pedimented 3-light windows. Small doorways in second and seventh bays
with doorcases consisting of small caryatids with Ionic capitals supporting
entablatures with uncarved medallions. 2-bay left-hand return front.
Rear wing largely demolished. Interior of southern range: various fireplaces.
One in room to left of centre with moulded surround, cornice and chamfered-
rustication to right. Brick-lined walls. The architect of the southern
range is not known but it might have been Robert Corbet who travelled
throughout Europe in the course of his diplomatic missions and is known
to have visited Italy, France and the Low Countries. The range was
unfinished at the time of Robert Corbet's death in 1583. It was set
on fire by the Parliamentarian force during the Civil War but a drawing
records the date 1667 on one of the stacks which suggests that building
work continued afterwards. John H. Haycock prepared designs for the
rebuilding of the house in 1796 but they remained unexecuted. County
Ancient Monument No. 137. B.O.E., pp.204-5; Colvin, pp.407-8, The Archeological
Journal, Vol. CXIII, p.221 and Vol. 138, pp.44-46 Ed. Francis Leach,
The County Seats of Shropshire, Shrewsbury (1891) pp.74-9; Mrs Frances
Stackhouse Acton, The Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire (1868),
Listing NGR: SJ5612523131
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings