This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0612 / 52°3'40"N
Longitude: -2.337 / 2°20'13"W
OS Eastings: 376991
OS Northings: 240368
OS Grid: SO769403
Mapcode National: GBR 0G6.PZH
Mapcode Global: VH93B.FGW7
Plus Code: 9C4V3M67+F5
Entry Name: Little Malvern Court
Listing Date: 11 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178481
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153301
Location: Little Malvern, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR14
Civil Parish: Little Malvern
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Little Malvern
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 74 SE
LITTLE MALVERN CP
Little Malvern Court
House, incorporating remains of conventual buildings of Priory Church of St Giles (qv). Early C14, late C15 and C16, with C17 and C18 alterations. Additions of 1860 by Charles Hansom. Restored early 1960s. Stone, brick and timber-framing with tile roofs.
Built around a small courtyard. Comprises an east range which incorporates an early C14 hall, originally on the west side of the Priory cloister; a mid-C16 north range of timber-framing on a stone base, altered late C18 and on the site of the south aisle of the church; a three-storey stone tower of c1600 with stair turret on the south side.
The west range incorporates two bays of a timber-framed building which is possibly late C15. The detailed plan and history are more complex. The east wall of the east (hall) range has a window at hall level to each side of a protecting stone stack, the right-hand one a C18 sash with glazing bars. To the right are external stone steps to a doorway at the high end of the hall with a doorway below to an undercroft. To the left in line with the screens, is a three-storey C17 turret of one bay. This is timber-framed above the ground floor at undercroft level which is of stone and brick. The upper part of the south end of the range is timber-framed including the south gable wall. To the left of this in the middle of the south wall is the stone tower. This has a two-storey C19 square bay window with a mullioned and transomed window above on the second floor. To its left is the south end of Hansom's west range which has a two-storey canted bay window and a hipped roof. The gables were removed in the 1960s.
The north wall of the north range has stone mullioned windows on the ground floor and sashes with glazing bars above. To the right is a gable with exposed framing partly covered by a chimney. The west gable wall of this range also has some exposed framing.
Interior: smoke blackened early C14 hall roof of four bays plus screens re-exposed during 1960' restoration. Wind-braces are cusped. Trusses have knee-braces to lower collar, and cusping to upper collar which forms trefoil at apex. The spere truss has curved braces between aisle posts and collar, with tracery infill to the spandrels. Double wall-plate to west wall suggests that present timber-framed wall replaces stone.
Listing NGR: SO7698840369
Other nearby listed buildings