History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Katherine's Chapel, Hall and Stable

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ledbury, County of Herefordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0365 / 52°2'11"N

Longitude: -2.423 / 2°25'22"W

OS Eastings: 371077

OS Northings: 237646

OS Grid: SO710376

Mapcode National: GBR FZ.FTV9

Mapcode Global: VH860.Y2DP

Plus Code: 9C4V2HPG+HQ

Entry Name: St Katherine's Chapel, Hall and Stable

Listing Date: 18 September 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1179854

English Heritage Legacy ID: 151869

Location: Ledbury, County of Herefordshire, HR8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Ledbury

Built-Up Area: Ledbury

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Ledbury

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(West Side)
St Katherine's Chapel,
Hall and Stable
SO 7137 NE 2/42 18.9.53.


St Katherine's Hospital was founded in 1232 by Bishop Hugh Foliot, but the chapel
and hall under 1 roof appear to have been built circa 1330-40. Local stone rubble
walls. Tiled roof gabled end facing High Street has 3 mid C14 windows, the centre
1 with 3 trefoil ogee lights with tracery in a 2-centred head with moulded label,
the side windows are each of a single lancet-light. In north wall is window of
1 trefoil light. South wall with 2 windows 1 a blocked lancet the other has 2
trefoil lights in a 2-centred head. The roof is C17 but there remains a C14 truss
with curved braces forming a segmental pointed arch. The truss marked division
between the chapel and the hall. Above a tall shingled lantern with concave sided
turret and weather vane dated 1763. Some C14-15 glass in windows. Some C14-15
tiles. C17 communion table. Clock dated 1642 with chain for weights running in
wooden channel under roof. Old slipper bath in hall dated 1805. At west end a
stable, with timber framed gable ends with 4 continuous wooden lighting perches
for the pigeon nesting boxes.

Nos 21 to 23 (consec), The Feathers Hotel Nos 26 and 27 and St Katherine's Chapel
and Hall form a group.

Listing NGR: SO7107737646

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.