This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.669 / 51°40'8"N
Longitude: -0.9956 / 0°59'44"W
OS Eastings: 469554
OS Northings: 197167
OS Grid: SU695971
Mapcode National: GBR B1S.73Z
Mapcode Global: VHDVT.P9HW
Entry Name: Model Farm, Engine House and Attached Buildings Approximately 15 Metres South South West of Farmhouse
Listing Date: 3 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182651
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248990
Location: Shirburn, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX49
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Shirburn
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Pyrton and Shirburn
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
4/144 Model Farm, engine house and
attached buildings approx.
15m. SSW of farmhouse
Engine house. Date 1856 on spandrels of covered way, by William Wilkinson for
the Earl of Macclesfield. Flemish bond brick with flared headers and diapering;
double-gabled Welsh slate roof; central ridge stack finished in Engineering
brick. Plan has covered way left of centre with sawing shed and carpenters'
workshop to left and engine room, boiler house, thrashing and chaff-cutting
rooms to right. 2 storeys; 4-window first floor range. Covered way has cast-iron
spandrels under wall plate. Gauged-brick chamfered segmental-arch over
double-entry to left: similar flat-arch over partly blocked entry to right.
Similar segmental-arches over first floor casements. Interior: base and some
driving-wheels and belts survive of steam-driven sawmill to left. Remains of
chaff-cutting and threshing machinery to right include mid C19 twelve
horse-power steam engine by Ruston (name plate). Subsidiary features; buildings
attached to right and making T-plan consist of woolstore/granary over cartsheds
at ends flanking central sheaf room and processing/storage block. Main front (to
right): long 2-storey central block has 3 central gabled bays with chamfered
segmental-arched 2-light casements above central/mid C19 sliding door: similar
sliding doors in long outer bays. Flanking 5 and 4-bay cartsheds have chamfered
archways and chamfered segmental-arches over horizontal sliding sashes; right
gable end has external steps with bell over doorway to granary. There was a
nickyard to the rear of the engine house. Wilkinson designed similar farm
buildings at Longleat, Wiltshire and Kirtlington, north of Oxford. The buildings
at Home Farm were
highly praised, in particular "the several purposes for which steam-power is
made available - viz. for thrashing the corn of the farm, cutting the chaff for
the horses and cattle, crushing oats and beans, grinding corn, drawing water
from a deep well to supply a cistern from which the water is conveyed by iron
piping throughout all parts of the homestead, and also for sawing timber....".
(Illustrated London News, December 12, 1857, pp. 584-5).
Listing NGR: SU6953597120
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings