This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7742 / 51°46'26"N
Longitude: -1.3116 / 1°18'41"W
OS Eastings: 447596
OS Northings: 208610
OS Grid: SP475086
Mapcode National: GBR 7XB.R7D
Mapcode Global: VHCXM.6NZS
Plus Code: 9C3WQMFQ+M9
Entry Name: The Dower House
Listing Date: 9 February 1966
Last Amended: 24 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182939
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249847
Location: Wytham, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX2
Civil Parish: Wytham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Wytham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
10/170 The Dower House
09/02/66 (Formerly listed as Post
Office and store, The Dower
House. Cottage to W of Post
Office and store, Dower House)
House. Late Cl7/early C18: refronted mid C19. Uncoursed limestone rubble,
roughcast front; gabled artificial stone slate roof; symmetrical end stacks of
stone with moulded drip course and stone finished in brick rebuilt in C20.
L-plan with rear left wing. 2 storeys and attic; 3-window range. Mid C19
half-glazed door: bracketed hood with sundial and inscribed "FS 1859".
Two-storey-and-attic square bay window to left has chamfered wood-mullioned
lights: canted bay window to right has narrow sashes set in chamfered
stone-mullioned lights: 2- and 3-light stone-mullioned windows above: similar
2-light window in gabled roof dormer. Late C18 cottage of limestone rubble with
gabled stone slate roofs to left: mid C19 range to right. 2-storey rear wing of
similar materials has 2 mid C19 three-light Gothic casements. Interior: cased
and chamfered beams. Mid C19 spiral staircase with stick balusters.
Listing NGR: SP4759608610
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings