This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.146 / 51°8'45"N
Longitude: -2 / 2°0'0"W
OS Eastings: 400093
OS Northings: 138524
OS Grid: SU000385
Mapcode National: GBR 2XJ.54V
Mapcode Global: VHB5F.9G0B
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183381
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320558
Location: Wylye, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Wylye
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Middle Wylye Valley
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WYLYE FISHERTON DE LA MERE
SU 03 NW
( north side)
2/124 Church of St. Nicholas
Anglican parish church, now redundant. Early C12, C13, C15,
restorations 1833, 1861 by W. Hardwick and 1912. Chequered
limestone and flint, tiled roof with ornamental tiles to chancel
roof, Welsh slates to nave. Plan: Nave, north transept, chancel
and north vestry, south tower over entrance. Double chamfered
archway to porch at base of two-stage tower; diagonal buttresses,
moulded niche over doorway and blocked square chamfered window over
with cast-iron plaque recording the 1833 rebuilding by John Davis
Esq., east and west sides have square chamfered windows with
louvres, string course to Cl9 bellstage with 2-light louvred
pointed windows to all sides, battlemented parapet with crocketed
corner pinnacles. Nave wall to right of tower contains fragments
of C12 chevron from an archway, two 2-light restored C14 pointed
windows, buttresses with offsets. Chancel with C19 roll-moulded
string courses and three restored lancets, corbel table, east end
has two C13 lancets with hoodmoulds and central pilaster buttress,
C19 quatrefoil over, coped verge wth cross finial, north side has
three restored lancets, corbel table. Lean-to vestry against north
transept has chamfered and cusped lancets. North transept has C19
Perpendicular-style window with hoodmould. North side of nave has
two C19 Perpendicular windows, buttresses with offsets, east one
with reset scratch dial, west end has chamfered pointed doorway and
3-light Cl9 Perpendicular-style window, diagonal buttresses.
Interior: Plain chamfered inner doorway with C19 panelled doors.
Nave has plastered ceiling, 1830's gallery at west end up stairs.
Chancel screen and rood loft by F.C. Eden 1912; finely carved
Perpendicular-style with open traceried panels and solid newel
stairs. Double chamfered C13 chancel arch with broach stops and
C12 paired half-shaft responds with carved capitals resembling
drapery, chancel has panelled wagon roof, original C13 rere-arches
to north and east end, restored on south side. Fittings: Minton
tiled reredos, plain pointed piscina on south wall, brass
candelabra in chancel. 1912 pews, C17 freestanding octagonal
pulpit with strapwork frieze, from East Anglia. C12 limestone
cylindrical font. Royal Arms of George III over south door.
1830's grisaille-style glass. Monuments include 1624 Crockford
tablet with bas-relief carving of figure in bed and another in
shroud, Cl9 marble tablets by Osmond of Sarum to Davis family and
by King of Bath to John Davis, died 1791. Elaborate C19 prayer
board on south wall of nave. Church now in care of the Redundant
(NMR; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: SU0009338524
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings