This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5415 / 51°32'29"N
Longitude: -1.906 / 1°54'21"W
OS Eastings: 406612
OS Northings: 182516
OS Grid: SU066825
Mapcode National: GBR 3T4.BX1
Mapcode Global: VHB3J.XJ64
Plus Code: 9C3WG3RV+JH
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew and All Saints
Listing Date: 17 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183969
English Heritage Legacy ID: 316805
Location: Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, SN4
Civil Parish: Royal Wootton Bassett
Built-Up Area: Wootton Bassett
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Wootton Bassett St Bartholomew and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 08 SE WOOTTON BASSETT HIGH STREET
(north west side)
11/123 Church of St Bartholomew and
Anglican parish church. C14, C15 and much restored 1869 - 71 by G.
E. Street. Coursed rubble limestone, stone slate roof. Two
parallel naves and independently roofed north aisle. South porch.
Chancel and Lady chapel, organ chamber, north vestry and west
tower. Exterior: nave 3-light Perpendicular windows and
parapet with many large gargoyles, all C15. Chancel 3-light
window c1300 with intersecting tracery and matching windows of C19.
South priest's door. Porch, C15, 2 storey, 2-light square headed
window to parvise and sundial in gable. Tower: 3 stages, upper
stages by Street, paired lancets, crenellated parapet and rounded
stair tower on north. Slated pitched roof. Interior: 5-bay
arcade, circular columns and capitals. South arcade C13 probably
heightened, with chamfered west respond. Arches have hollow
chamfers. North arcade similar but C19, when aisle added. Roofs:
C16 over naves, panelled and painted, north aisle C19 arch-braced
principal rafters. Chancel and Lady chapel, barrel and trussed
rafter roofs, Porch has lierne quadripartite vault on corbels with
skewed shields. Small stoup. Chancel encaustic tiles and choir
stalls. Pulpit: C15, timber, buttressed with tracery. Altered
C19 plinth and brass rail to steps. Font: C19 diapered tub, by
Street, carved by Earp, on clustered short columns.
Lectern: Brass, 1876. Rood stair to south nave arch and open
timber screen between Lady chapel and chancel. Low stone screen to
chancel. Reredos: 5 gabled bays, limestone, by Street, with marble
relief of Adoration by Earp of Lambeth. Glass: East window of
chancel, and of Lady Chapel 1871 by Hardman, depicting Tree of
Jesse and Prophets. Organ: Vowles of Bristol 1871. In north
aisle benefaction boards, Charles Pynner 1619 and two of c1680,
round headed, recording gifts inter alia of crimson damask, the
clock, and the Free School. In nave, west wall triptych of
commandments. Brass chandelier 1782. Houselling bench c1700; 2 no
stools also c 1700. C18 rectangular table with 22 twisted baluster
legs. Monuments in base of tower: 8 marble wall tablets HENRY
WILSON 1812, draped urn. MARY SMITH, 1813, pedimented. WILLIAM
IND, 1825, urn. THOMAS MAYRISS 1825; ELIZABETH FREAK, 1841 by
Reeves of Bath; Francis King, 1848, by Franklin; CHARLES MORETON
HUNT 1855; and BARTHOLEMEW HORSELL 1851, Gothic.
Sculpture: in parvise, fragment C10-Cll, winged biting dragon and
?tree of life.
(Reference: Pevsner N., Buildings of England, Wiltshire 596-7.)
Listing NGR: SU0661282516
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings