This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6963 / 53°41'46"N
Longitude: -1.7435 / 1°44'36"W
OS Eastings: 417034
OS Northings: 422237
OS Grid: SE170222
Mapcode National: GBR JT8P.BQ
Mapcode Global: WHC9W.6C15
Entry Name: Kirklees Hall Mansion and Attached Stables
Listing Date: 3 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184034
English Heritage Legacy ID: 338859
Location: Calderdale, HD6
Electoral Ward/Division: Brighouse
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hartsheadst Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
BRIGHOUSE KIRKLEES PARK
SE 12 SE
4/120 Kirklees Hall Mansion and
G. V. I
Large stone built mansion, originally mid C16 with later C16 and early C17
enlargement, altered c.1770 by John Carr; service wing of 1780's heightened 1903;
attached stable block, early C17.
Deeply indented south facade, probably between 1544 and 1565, altered to right
before mid C17, with vestibule between by Carr, probably along lines of an
infill of 1705 (rainwater head). The south gable wall of the west wing carries a
large stack of 4 coupled diamond set flues with offsets. The deeply coped gable
is at a steeper pitch than the present roof line. 2 storeys. 2 cross-
windows to 1st floor of gable. Wall facing inwards has a double chamfered
mullioned and transomed window of 15 lights with a similar 8-light window over
to 1st floor, both with cavetto-moulded mullions. 1st floor also has a small 2-
light mullioned window and a single sashed window. The vestibule partly
obscures another mullioned and transomed window formerly of 18 lights with a
doorway broken into it, but still with 3 lights carried over the lintel.
The vestibule is faced in ashlar and has 3 semi-circular arches. Modern glazing
to windows. Doorway to centre. Mid C19 rusticated open balustrading The 1st
floor set back with 3 sash windows (modern glazing). Vestibule overlaps spiral
staircase tower constructed at the junction of the east wing, and rising above
it where it forms an octagon, within the faces double chamfered mullioned
windows and a Tudor arched doorway (with studded door) leading on to roof.
The tower is capped by an octagonal hollow stone spire, surmounted by a ball
finial in which is a weather-vane.
The east wing is of 3 storeys, and forms a rectangular block running east to
west. Quoins, drip course to each floor over the windows. Hipped slate roof.
Small double chamfered mullioned windows of 3 and 4 lights to ground floor with
similar, though altered, windows to 2nd floor. The 1st floor has tall sashed
The east front; mainly later C16 and in hammer-dressed stone, has 3 elements.
The first continues the storeys of the south facade but is sashed except for 2nd
floor. The second, recessed to either side of a narrow projecting bay which may
have been the porch, has sashes under hoodmoulds and large lateral stacks. The
third element, quoined before the present corner because of the added window bay
of the north facade, is gabled and has tripartite sash windows.
The north front of early C17, is in finely dressed stone and must have been
completely re-faced when it became the new front. Symmetrical, E-shaped 7 bay
facade. 2 storeys with high scalloped parapet, crowned by finials. Plinth,
drip course over windows. The bays had large windows on their northern and
inner faces: these have been replaced by later, smaller windows. The porch has
a round-headed doorway with fan-light; over is a broken pediment dating from
Carr's alterations. Each of the outer bays have tall single sashed windows of
15 panes to each floor.
To the rear of this range a courtyard was formed. 2-storey 3-bay range running
south. The stonework of this range is finely dressed. This has been extended
and a clear break is discernible in the stonework which becomes thin coursed
hammer-dressed. This western face has two 2-light small flat faced mullioned
windows. The return wall is faced in finely dressed stone, with coped gable,
kneelers, finials and stack. It would appear that this was the original gable-
end which was taken down and rebuilt further on. The east front is in hammer-
dressed stone and has a 4-light flat faced mullioned window, with same over, of
early C19 cottage type, totally out of keeping; and a very fine late C16 doorway
with depressed Tudor arch, moulded spandrels, composite jambs with cyma moulded
surround, and good stops. It is likely that all the windows and doorway on this
facade are re-used material.
C19 single storey range links service wing to coach-house and stables of C17.
These form L-shaped building with wings running north and east. Windows are
double chamfered. The principal facade is to the south and has 2½ storeys.
3 bays under 3 coped gables with kneelers and finials. A cross-window to each
bay and floor, except the central bay which has 2 cross-windows to ground floor.
Gables have 2-light double chamfered mullioned windows. Dripcourse continues
round the building over ground floor windows. Right hand return wall has coped
gable with kneelers and finials and octagonal faced clock in gable. Mullioned
and transomed window of 8 lights with 6-light window over with hoodmould with
straight returns. The mullions are ovolo moulded.
Interior: The oldest feature, in the south west corner of the house, is
probably the large elliptical arched Tudor fireplace. There are also associated
details in this former kitchen.
The entrance vestibule contains a segmental pointed arched doorway to the left,
and depressed Tudor arched doorway to the right. A Neoclassical doorcase leads
into the stair hall with an Imperial staircase set between Ionic columns (in
antis). The elaborate 'flying' stair, slung on iron girders, by Carr was
executed by Maurice Tobin for which he was paid £249/15/0 (information from Dr.
The southern ground floor room of the east wing has a heavy beamed ceiling and
mid C17 plaster overmantel which has coat of arms. The stone spiral staircase
is preserved above ground floor.
The north front ground floor is divided into 2 large rooms, with a central
tunnel-vaulted passage, within the porch a small groin vault with consoles. To
the east of the passage is the 'Oak Room' divided from it by an elaborate late
Elizabethan oak screen of high quality. A central doorway with 6 panelled C18
door is flanked by foliated carved colonnettes, with Ionic capitals on a plinth,
the entablature decorated with lion masks. To either side, 3 panelled bays
decorated with arcades with geometrically inlaid panels, the centre with
marquetry faces. Inlaid strapwork frieze. The outer bays too are divided by
colonnettes all of which are surmounted by carved figures of soldiers in Roman
dress holding spears. The screen is surmounted by a blind gallery of flat
balusters. Gadrooned rail, over which are 10 decorated open arcades, broken by
curved grotesque caryatids. The walls are panelled in oak. Above the 'Oak
Room' is the 'Music Room' perhaps designed by Lindley in 1777 and executed by
Betram; completed in 1781. Fine gilded plaster ceiling with a central motif
decorated with musical instruments and swirling vines set within an oval, all in
shallow relief. The bay contains an original music bookcase. L. Ambler, The
Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, (London 1913), pp.11, 36, 37. N.
Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (London 1979), p.292. Country Life Aug. 22nd
1908. D. Nortcliffe (Report for Yorkshire Archaeological Society Industrial
History Section) Kirklees Iron Bridge of 1769 and its Builder (1979).
Listing NGR: SE1703422237
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings