This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7341 / 53°44'2"N
Longitude: -1.8013 / 1°48'4"W
OS Eastings: 413204
OS Northings: 426431
OS Grid: SE132264
Mapcode National: GBR HTV8.T5
Mapcode Global: WHC9N.9DHQ
Entry Name: The Sister's House and Priors Mead
Listing Date: 3 January 1967
Last Amended: 2 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184367
English Heritage Legacy ID: 338908
Location: Calderdale, HX3
Electoral Ward/Division: Hipperholme and Lightcliffe
Built-Up Area: Bradford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Lightcliffe St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
BRIGHOUSE SYKE LANE
SE 12 NW
1/170 The Sister's House and
formerly listed as 17 Priestley
3.1.67 Green (The Sister's House)
G. V. II
2 houses perhaps formerly one. Dated 1630. Hammer-dressed stone, rendered,
stone slate roof. 2 storeys, considered as one house it forms a long range
which appears as a double gabled frontage of 2 bays the right hand of which
breaks forward and 3 other bays (the right hand a cross-wing) under a different
roof line. All have double chamfered mullioned windows with hoodmoulds. The
first bays have lean-to porch protecting doorway with inscribed square lintel
'S1630S'. 6 lights to left and 4 over, and 8 lights (with king mullion) with
6 lights over. The 3rd bay has C19 doorway broken into window now of 4 lights
with 5 lights over. The 4th bay has similar doorway and 8-light window to
housebody with 5-light over. 5th bay has 6-light with 5-light over. All gables
coped with kneelers and finials. 3 stacks, after 2nd bay and 4th bay. Right
hand return wall has some altered windows, one of 4 lights with wooden diamond
mullions. Single storey to rear.
Interior: The housebody to Sister's House has large stop chamfered spine beams
and large segmental arched fireplace with simple chamfer inscribed 'TAP 1658'.
The housebody of Priors Meade has stop chamfered spine beams with scarf joints
evidence of former bressumer and firehood. Posts and straight braces forming
timbered arcade to aisle of good quality and close studded wall to rear of
parlour chamber which has fireplace with square lintel and composite jambs with
simple chamfer. Formerly had a C17 plastered ceiling now gone. Ground floor
room to central bay has plaster tablet bearing date 1584 said to have been
imported from a house in Wakefield. D. Nortcliffe, Buildings of Brighouse,
(Brighouse 1978) p.10.
Listing NGR: SE1320426431
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings