This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4109 / 51°24'39"N
Longitude: -0.2983 / 0°17'53"W
OS Eastings: 518444
OS Northings: 169363
OS Grid: TQ184693
Mapcode National: GBR 83.TQG
Mapcode Global: VHGR8.SS4R
Plus Code: 9C3XCP62+9M
Entry Name: Cleave's Almshouses
Listing Date: 30 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184584
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203138
Location: Kingston upon Thames, London, KT2
District: Kingston upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Grove
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Thames
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Norbiton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
(Formerly listed under LONDON ROAD)
Dated 1668. Long range of twelve 2-storey dwellings. Centre gable (partly rebuilt) with moulded brick verge and sundial, above slate descriptive tablet with carved stone surround and broken pedimented top. Tile roof, both ends hipped. 12 chimneys. 6 windows each side of centre gable. 3 oval windows over centre doorway with gauged brick surrounds. Door in two halves, 6 panels each, moulded and fielded, with two windows on each side. Surround to centre door has chamfered quoins and head. 12 lain doors to dwellings with hoods. Moulded brick eaves cornice and flat string at first floor level. Splayed brick plinth. Casement windows lancet lead lights.
Listing NGR: TQ1844469363
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 09/03/2016
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Kingston upon Thames, historically in Surrey, was an important market town, port and river crossing from the early medieval period, while there is evidence of Saxon settlement and of activity dating from the prehistoric period and of Roman occupation. It is close to the important historic royal estates at Hampton Court, Bushy Park, Richmond and Richmond Park. The old core of the town, around All Saints Church (C14 and C15, on an earlier site) and Market Place, with its recognisably medieval street pattern, is ‘the best preserved of its type in outer London’ (Pevsner and Cherry, London: South, 1983 p. 307). Kingston thrived first as an agricultural and market town and on its historic industries of malting, brewing and tanning, salmon fishing and timber exporting, before expanding rapidly as a suburb after the arrival of the railway in the 1860s. In the later C19 it become a centre of local government, and in the early C20 became an important shopping and commercial centre. Its rich diversity of buildings and structures from all periods reflect the multi-facetted development of the town.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings