This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1184 / 51°7'6"N
Longitude: 0.9781 / 0°58'41"E
OS Eastings: 608520
OS Northings: 139673
OS Grid: TR085396
Mapcode National: GBR SYK.VGD
Mapcode Global: VHKKW.W4YZ
Entry Name: Lodge House
Listing Date: 10 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185326
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181718
Location: Smeeth, Ashford, Kent, TN25
Civil Parish: Smeeth
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 03 NE SMEETH PLAIN ROAD
4/132 Lodge House
House. Circa 1500 and extended C17 and late C18 and 1920's. Timber
framed and clad with galletted ragstone and red and blue brick and
extended with timber frame with red brick and mathematical tiling.
Plain tiled roof. Wealden plan, now completely enclosed by later
cladding and extensions. Main elevation: C18, with mathematical
tiling and red brick. Two storeys with boxed eaves to hipped roof
with stacks to left and to rear right. Regular fenestration of 2
glazing bar sashes and central round headed glazing bar sash on 1st
floor, and 2 glazing bar sashes with cambered heads on ground floor.
Central glazed door with delicately traceried semi-circular fanlight
in panelled surround, with pilasters and cornice. Return elevations
rendered, with canted oriel on 1st floor to right. Rear wing to left
return early C18 red and blue brick on ragstone, with 2 glazing bar
sashes and 2 blank window spaces on 1st floor and 2 wooden casements,
glazed door on ground floor. Right rear wing galletted ragstone with
dentil eaves cornice and segmentally headed window openings, with C20
panelled door and porch. Tile hung 2 storey hipped C20 range to rear.
Interior: the core of the building is a complete Wealden hall house,
with full frame visible, with dragon beams, dais beam and crown posts
(moulded with lobed bases) on steeply cambered tie beams, that to
Hall chamfered, with smoke blackened rafters. This section of the
house also contains extensive early C17 wainscotting, with beaded
surrounds, said to have come from Scott's Hall (in the park of which
this was indeed the Lodge House). Also a painted fireplace, with heavy
bead moulding to four centred arch, with shields in spandrels. C18
wing with simple fielded panelling with moulded dado rail, and dog
leg and landing stair with ramped handrail and stick balusters. A
fine example of a building "displaying the characteristics of its
own development", with quality work throughout in the whole range of
materials available in East Kent.
Listing NGR: TR0852039673
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings