This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3281 / 52°19'41"N
Longitude: -1.3802 / 1°22'48"W
OS Eastings: 442335
OS Northings: 270177
OS Grid: SP423701
Mapcode National: GBR 7PN.5VF
Mapcode Global: VHCTW.1R65
Entry Name: The Manor House and Attached Wall and Outbuilding
Listing Date: 4 December 1951
Last Amended: 3 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185524
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308710
Location: Frankton, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23
Civil Parish: Frankton
Built-Up Area: Frankton
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Frankton St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
FRANKTON MAIN STREET
SP47SW (North side)
1/67 The Manor House and attached
04/12/51 wall and outbuilding
(Formerly listed as Manor
Manor house and attached wall and outbuilding Remodelled late C17, but with
earlier origins. C18 and C19 alterations. Additions and alterations dated 1926
on rainwater head. Flemish bond red brick. Some earlier work to left return side
and rear of squared coursed lias. Tile roofs, partly old; brick ridge and
lateral stacks of varying dates. H-plan. 2 storeys and attic. 6, formerly
7-window range. Main front to garden has 3-bay loggia of 1926 between wings,
with brick piers and stone entablature. Central C20 French window with glazing
bars. 10-pane sashes to left and right. Sashes throughout. All openings have
gauged brick flat arches with keystones. Blocked central window. Gabled 2-bay
wings have 8-pane sashes to return sides. Left wing, extended forward 1926, has
2 French windows. Further one-bay range, set back on right. Entrance front to
left return side has large 2-storey porch of 1926. Late C17 style doorway of
Hornton stone has bolection moulded architrave with triple keystone, pilaster
panels and semi-circular hood on large consoles. Moulded 6-panelled double-leaf
door. Flanking narrow 8-pane sashes. 9-pane sash above. Hipped roof. External
stack to right. Rear is irregular. Some leaded casements. Interior: fine early
C18 open well staircase with 2 turned balusters to each tread. It is said to
come from The Priory, Warwick, demolished c.1926. Wall to rear between house and
outbuilding. C18. Squared coursed limestone with tile coping. Brick arch.
Outbuilding is C18/C19. Flemish bond red brick with dentil cornice. Tile roof;
C20 brick ridge stack. 2 storeys; 2-window range. Irregular. 2 plank doors.
Plank door and glazed panel. C20 glazed door. Window in blocked doorway on left.
First floor has leaded 3-light casement and 2-light casement with glazing bars.
All openings have brick segmental arches.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.295).
Listing NGR: SP4233570177
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings