This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5416 / 51°32'29"N
Longitude: -1.7019 / 1°42'6"W
OS Eastings: 420772
OS Northings: 182568
OS Grid: SU207825
Mapcode National: GBR 4VR.8K0
Mapcode Global: VHC13.GJ41
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 26 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185526
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318566
Location: Wanborough, Swindon, SN4
Civil Parish: Wanborough
Built-Up Area: Wanborough
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Lyddington and Wanborough
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
Parish Church of St Andrew
Large parish church largely recast in early C14. Built of rubble with stone
slate roofs and moulded plinths and cornices. Four-bay aisled nave with north
and south porches (former a C15 addition). No clerestorey. Extra bay (for
short 'transept' internally). Very unusual tall eastern spirelet in sanctus
bell position. Large C15 or C16 two-bay chancel. Three-stage crenellated west
tower, also C15. Two-light, square-headed windows with cusped ogee tracery.
Restored perpendicular east window of three lights. Somerset tracery in west
tower. North door: pointed early C14 with carved trailing naturalistic decoration
up the jambs. Gabled south porch with flanking pinnacles with crocketted
finials. Small north door in chancel. The tower has a canopied niche above
main west window.
INTERIOR: quadrilobe piers and pointed arcades; crossing below spire (which
is open from below) and narrow 'transept'. Traces of wall painting to left
of north door (Entry into Jerusalem). Tower stair door has stilted relieving
arch. St Catherine's chapel to north-east has an early C14 ogee-headed piscina
in south wall and scallopped drain. Fine C16 pedimented tablet over with
dense inscription; flanking corbels, the left-hand one has fragment of possibly
early C14 carving. Plain tub font.
South porch contains two carved gisants, of man and wife who could be C13.
Well stocked graveyard with numerous C18 and early C19 headstones and chest
tombs particularly to south and south-east.
Listing NGR: SU2076282564
Other nearby listed buildings