This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.4932 / 54°29'35"N
Longitude: -1.467 / 1°28'1"W
OS Eastings: 434624
OS Northings: 511009
OS Grid: NZ346110
Mapcode National: GBR LJ6H.62
Mapcode Global: WHD78.FBP7
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 6 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185929
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350452
Location: Neasham, Darlington, DL2
Civil Parish: Neasham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Dinsdale
Church of England Diocese: Durham
LOW DINSDALE LOW DINSDALE
NZ 31 SW (West side, off)
8/49 The Manor House
Manor house. Probably late medieval core; encased and extended c.1876.
Rubble core; applied timbering on south face and east gable end; additions on
north in large red bricks (stretcher bond); rubble porch and lean-to additions.
Fish-scale clay tiles on main block and north face additions; stone flags on
porch; Welsh slates on lean-to additions: Ornamental brick chimney stacks.
Medieval main block with C17 west bay; c.1876 east bay; 2 cross-gabled c.1876
wings, with single-storey linking range between, added on north; former porch
on west return of west wing.
2-storey main block. 3-bay medieval core has 1.0 to 1.5-metre thick walls and
added east and west bays; applied timbering with pebble-dashed brick infill
panels. 6 scattered single- and 2-light windows on each floor, all replaced
casements, some with splayed rear arches. Steeply-pitched roof with C20
dormer at east, raised verge with stone kneelers at west and crested ridge
tiles: 2 ridge stacks; east stack marks original gable end. 3 single-storey
lean-to additions on east gable end. Two 2-light chamfered-mullioned windows
on west gable end. North (entrance) front: two 2-storey cross-gabled wings
with steeply-pitched roofs; taller east wing has attic. Single-storey range
between wings has studded door and a low-pitched-pent roof. Mainly 2- and 3-
light late C19 wood-mullioned windows with iron casements. Former porch has
possibly re-set hollow-chamfered semicircular archway with inserted C19
2-light window. Tall lateral chimneys with ornamental octagonal stacks.
Interior greatly altered c.1876. Imported bolection-moulded stone chimney-
piece against east gable end has relief of 2 scaly fishes on frieze. Several
ground-floor rooms with chamfered ceiling beams; woodwork brought from Bristol
Cathedral including medieval choir stalls, panelling dated 1689 and 1733, part
of a Baroque organ case in entrance hall, C18 box pews used as dadoes, etc.
Possibly late medieval heraldic stained glass in room behind porch.
The Manor House stands inside a double-moated enclosure and was the home of
the Surtees family from the early C12 until the C19.
Listing NGR: NZ3462411009
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings