History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Low Dinsdale, Darlington

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.495 / 54°29'42"N

Longitude: -1.466 / 1°27'57"W

OS Eastings: 434684

OS Northings: 511210

OS Grid: NZ346112

Mapcode National: GBR LJ6G.DF

Mapcode Global: WHD78.G84W

Plus Code: 9C6WFGWM+2H

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 20 March 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1319947

English Heritage Legacy ID: 350447

Location: Neasham, Darlington, DL2

County: Darlington

Civil Parish: Neasham

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Dinsdale

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Middleton One Row

Description


LOW DINSDALE LOW DINSDALE
NZ 31 SW (East side)

8/44 Inset Church of St. John
20/3/67 the Baptist

II

Parish church. Late C12 nave and chancel; C14 south aisle; restored and tower,
organ chamber/vestry and porch added in 1876 by J.P. Pritchett. Red sandstone:
dressed medieval masonry on chancel and part of south aisle; remainder mainly
1876 tooled squared stone in harrow courses. Large Welsh slates on roofs.
Nave with west tower and separately-roofed south aisle with porch; chancel
with organ chamber/vestry on north. 1876 pointed windows mainly with
Geometrical tracery.

Diagonally-buttressed, 4-stage tower has 2-light bell openings, embattled
parapet with corner pinnacles and stair turret on north. 2-bay nave has
fragmentary chamfered plinth and steep roof. 2-bay aisle has pointed chamfered
doorway behind porch; and 2-light window, with original monolithic head, on
south; restored window with intersecting tracery on east return; steeply-
pitched roof. Lower, narrower 2-bay chancel: restored Priest's door on south
flanked by square-headed 2-light windows, that to east with original jambs and
shouldered rear-arch; east end has original plinth and quoins and 1876 3-light
window; steeply-pitched roof. Organ chamber/vestry has pent roof and truncated
stack. Gabled porch has pointed, double-chamfered doorway under hoodmould
with headstops.

Interior. Nave and chancel have 1876 arch-braced roofs. Aisle arcade of 2
original double-chamfered, pointed arches on central octagonal pier and respond
corbels. Restored aisle piscina with 2 original bowls. Pointed piscina with
projecting bowl in chancel. Elaborate late C19 pulpit and font. 2 fragments
of a pre-Conquest hogback and possibly C11 font with hexagonal bowl in aisle.
Small brass to Mary Wyvill died 1668 above aisle pier. Aedicular wall monument
in chancel to Cuthbert Routh died 1752 by Richard Fisher. Dramatic stained
glass window, at east end of aisle, to Rev. John Surtees dated 1876 by O'Connor
and Taylor. Built into porch: several pre-Conquest cross-shaft fragments;
large grave slab to Goselynus Surtees died 1366; 2-light window head from
chancel.


Listing NGR: NZ3468411210

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.