This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.784 / 54°47'2"N
Longitude: -1.8197 / 1°49'10"W
OS Eastings: 411693
OS Northings: 543248
OS Grid: NZ116432
Mapcode National: GBR HFQ3.VV
Mapcode Global: WHC4M.00RV
Plus Code: 9C6WQ5MJ+J4
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert
Listing Date: 17 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185997
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350618
Location: Satley, County Durham, DL13
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Satley
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Satley
Church of England Diocese: Durham
SATLEY B6296 (West side)
NZ 14 SW Satley
9/111 Church of
Parish church. 1870-71 restoration and enlargement of early C18 chapel-of-
ease on site of medieval chapel; 1768 became separate parish. Present nave
occupies site of former nave and chancel. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar
quoins and dressings; plinth to chancel and tower; stone-flagged roof with stone
gable copings. Nave with west tower and south porch; chancel with north organ
chamber and vestry.
Gabled porch has boarded door in chamfered 2-centred arch; tower has high plinth
at sill-level of 2-light west window with cusped tracery; paired chamfered
2-centred-arched louvred bell openings; roll-moulded coping.
Nave has gabled porch with boarded door in 2-centred-arched chamfered surround;
tracery in 2 south lancets and one north lancet; central north bay has tall
square-headed C18 window with 2 mullioned-and-transomed elliptical-headed
lights. Lower chancel has Decorated tracery in single window on south, with
low 2-centred-arched head; and 3-light east window with cusped tracery;dripmoulds.
Deep buttresses to nave, and deep diagonal buttresses to chancel. Stone cross
Interior: sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; stone-corbelled roof trusses
have arch-braced collars with struts and king-posts; chancelhas arch-braced
collars with struts. 7 narrow bays in nave, 3 in chancel. Renewed west gallery.
Wide 2-centred tower arch in gallery; narrower wood lintel over boarded door
below. Chamfered 2-centred chancel arch with roll-moulded inner arch on corbels.
Octagonal stone C19 font. High-quality panelled inner doors by Thompson of
Masham. Gothic-style priest's stall in memory of G.S. Ellam died 1905. Gothic
panelled reredos is 1914-1919 war memorial. Chancel and sanctuary floors in
red, black and cream tiles. Rood screen 1907 memorial to Rev. de Pledge, in
whose care the church was restored and embellished by subscription according to
brass memorial plaque. Other memorials include brass to Rev. de Pledge's 3rd
son, Colonel in 19th Hussars, died 1908; by Underwood, 14 Baker Street.
Organ 1879 by Harrison and Harrison. C19 glass includes memorials to John
Greenwell of Broomshields, and to Revs. Thompson died 1867 and de Pledge.
2 medieval grave covers in west wall; source P.F. Ryder, The Medieval Slab
Grave Cover in County Durham, Durham 1985, III.
Listing NGR: NZ1169343248
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings