This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7136 / 51°42'48"N
Longitude: -2.5096 / 2°30'34"W
OS Eastings: 364886
OS Northings: 201769
OS Grid: SO648017
Mapcode National: GBR JV.37FG
Mapcode Global: VH87J.G637
Plus Code: 9C3VPF7R+C5
Entry Name: Naas House
Listing Date: 7 August 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1186613
English Heritage Legacy ID: 354468
Location: Lydney, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL15
Civil Parish: Lydney
Built-Up Area: Lydney
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Lydney St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO60SW LYDNEY NAAS LANE
Large house. Probably early C17. Walls of main house are finished with roughcast render (with limewash coating) on south and west sides; to the north and east sides (leeward of the prevailing winds) there are traces of limewash suggesting that this was the finish to the flush-pointed coursed rubble; double-Roman glazed roof tiles to cross-gabled form, deep rubble stacks, and on south side a hexagonal turret rendered on timber frame, with ogee lead-covered cupola (1861 date to leadwork) to moulded cornice. PLAN: L-shaped plan, with timber-framed rear wing attached to and projecting north from early C18 east range extension; the early C17 house presents an overall double-depth plan, with the gable-fronted outer front wings flanking the stair hall, surmounted at the top by viewing platform. EXTERIOR: North front is in two and a half storeys with two moulded string courses: triple-gabled over 7 windows, all mullioned and transomed in wood with bead-and-reel decoration to surrounds and to wood lintels; circular stone oculi with guilloche decoration over gable windows, which have stone hood moulds with shallow stops; central 3-panel raised moulded door (with smaller contemporary inset door with early C18 applied mouldings) under steep wood pediment all set within wood panelling to much-worn sandstone moulded surround with rosettes and scroll brackets to worn cornice: the draw bar inside this door is carved with the date 1573 (possibly of recent date). South front of two and a half storeys with string courses and projecting outer gable-fronted wings making 2+2+2-window range; all stone-mullioned and transomed 2-light windows with bead-and-reel decoration to moulded members; gable lights with stopped drips; the central stair block in three and a half storeys with staggered windows (to landings) and off-centre right 6-panel door in moulded wood surround and cavetto hood, is surmounted by a viewing platform with access from the hexagonal turret (raised walling or balustrade to parapet has been removed). West elevation fenestration is similar, but also has circular oculus with guilloche mould, in gable, and to basement a 3-light chamfer mould casement in stone.
East front two-gabled 4-window range, wood as north, right gable with two oculi, and with a C20 glazed door to bay 3. Early C18 east extension, with cross windows to 3-window range to north, is attached to outbuilding with walls of rubble and close-studded timber frame and double Roman tile roof: this outbuilding comprises a lofted single-storey range with dove-nesting boxes within brickwork on east external face; the section with close-studding (to south) is in 2 bays with winder stair adjacent to large open fireplace; square-framed partition on line of truss at first-floor level; also a large high-ceilinged room, probably a brewhouse, with simple vaulted plaster ceiling and fireplace. INTERIOR: A tight open-well early C17 staircase in very heavy square newels with flat caps and pendants, and heavy turned balusters on square bases; deep string and handrail. C17 screen in ground-floor room to west of main entrance has simple moulded decoration to studs and mid rail. Stone flag floors. All original windows have simple inscribed moulding to frame, mullions and transoms. Some windows have lowered cill seats with C18 panelling. Early C18 secondary stair in east wing, the section from first to attic floors having substantial moulded handrail and flat balusters in "turned" form; balustrade at attic level has flat, twisted balusters. Early C18 panelling with box and plaster cornices in north-east and south-east first-floor rooms and south-east ground-floor room (bolection-moulded panelling). C17 architrave to one ground-floor room, otherwise door joinery and panelled doors are C18 and C19. C18 and C19 fireplaces. Attic has plaster patch initialled 1718 (typologically the date for much of the internal panelling and other C18 work in the house). Collar-truss roof with halved apexes and two tiers of purlins. Said to have been built for William Jones, founder of the Haberdasher's Company, c1580. It is most probable, however, that the house dates from the early 17th century. A fine house of the period, the viewing platform being a notable feature and the overall design, detailing (the carved detailing to all windows for example) and plan form reflecting advanced contemporary trends.
Listing NGR: SO6488601769
Other nearby listed buildings