This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2478 / 53°14'51"N
Longitude: -1.6647 / 1°39'52"W
OS Eastings: 422472
OS Northings: 372356
OS Grid: SK224723
Mapcode National: GBR JZTW.DH
Mapcode Global: WHCD1.DMJK
Plus Code: 9C5W68XP+44
Entry Name: Eyre Arms Public House including flanking walls
Listing Date: 19 June 1987
Last Amended: 5 June 2020
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187166
English Heritage Legacy ID: 81714
Location: Hassop, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE45
Civil Parish: Hassop
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Longstone St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Derby
A public house, probably originally built as a dwelling house with C17 origins, and later incrementally altered, extended and remodelled in the course of transition from dwelling to its present public house use.
MATERIALS: coursed limestone with gritstone dressings. The kitchen extension to the south-east is brick. All roof coverings are of slate.
PLAN: the building is rectangular in form, with extensions to the south-west, north-west and north-east sides.
EXTERIOR: the building is of two storeys and three bays, with gable chimneys. Its principal elevation is symmetrical with a central doorway and flanking windows to the ground floor and five windows above. The doorcase has C20 double doors set below a semi-circular fanlight. The door and window openings to the principal elevation appear to date to the early C19, but the joinery to these openings is mid-C20 in date.
The rear elevation of the main range has been extended along its entire length below a slate-covered catslide roof, with a further, small flat-roofed extension to the north-west.
To the south-east of the main range is a small, gabled extension built into the flanking boundary wall. It is built of red brick and has a chimney at its north-east end. The flanking stone wall to the front has an external doorway. To the rear of the main range is another small, gabled extension to the north-east.
INTERIOR: at ground-floor level, the building’s original plan-form has been much altered to form the public house interior, the present manifestation, in a faux-Tudor style, dating to the brewery remodelling of the 1950s.
The front door opens into a small lobby with doors to left and right, giving access to the public bar and lounge bar respectively. The area immediately behind the entrance lobby is occupied by a central servery, from which both bar areas can be accessed. The servery has curved wooden bar counter frontages to both bars, each with linenfold panelling.
The bar areas contain no features of particular note with standard-quality fixtures, fittings, joinery and wall and ceiling surfaces in the faux-Tudor style of the 1950s remodelling.
The toilets, cellar extension, kitchen and storage areas contain no features of note.
The upper floor has undergone similar levels of mid-C20 and later alteration and contains no features of note. Visible sections of structural beams appear to represent C19 or earlier fabric. The building’s roof structure is of king post-form and supports trenched side purlins.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: there are flanking, curved, coursed-stone boundary walls extending approximately 6 metres to each side of the building frontage, that to the east incorporating a door opening.
The building is said to have originated as a farmstead in 1635, and is recorded to have been a public house since 1753 and named after the Eyre family, substantial landowners, farmers and lead miners in the Derbyshire.
The front was likely remodelled in the early C19 to give a “polite” symmetrical appearance to the principal elevation. Since that time, the building has undergone considerable extensions and alterations. The entire length of the rear (north) elevation was extended in the 1950s and an extension was also added to the south- west side to accommodate a cellar. This appears on the Ordnance Survey (OS) map of 1971, but not on the 1955 OS map. Another small extension to the rear (north-west) elevation, built to accommodate gentlemen’s toilets, is of similar date. A further single-storey extension at the north-east end for storage purposes was added after 1971, as it is not depicted on the 1971 OS map.
The interiors of both ground and first floors were much remodelled in the 1950s, but these alterations, particularly those to the bar areas, presumably replaced earlier phases of alteration.
The building was added to the statutory List in 1987.
The Eyre Arms, Hassop, a building with C17 and C18 origins, which became a public house, and has phases of remodelling dating from the C19 and C20 is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* for its little-altered, high-quality, late-18 or early-C19 “polite” architectural frontage, and for the survival of its C17 king post roof structure.
* it has C17 origins and has been in continuous use as a public house since the mid-C18.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings