This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6854 / 52°41'7"N
Longitude: -1.8334 / 1°50'0"W
OS Eastings: 411355
OS Northings: 309759
OS Grid: SK113097
Mapcode National: GBR 3C9.R7Y
Mapcode Global: WHCGN.TR3N
Entry Name: Milley's Hospital
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Last Amended: 17 June 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187347
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382549
Location: Lichfield, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13
Civil Parish: Lichfield
Built-Up Area: Lichfield
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Lichfield Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK1109NW BEACON STREET
1094-1/4/4 (South West side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Almshouse. 1504 with later alterations, late C18 rear addition
and extensive restoration of 1906 by C Lynham; addition of
1985-7. For Dr Thomas Milley.
Brick with ashlar dressings; tile roof with brick end stacks,
that to right large and to front of ridge.
EXTERIOR: Tudor style. 2 storeys with attic; symmetrical
5-window range. Entrance in 2-storey gabled porch has
elliptical brick arch and wide-boarded door; window above has
pilaster strips and pediment, and 2-light casement with iron
opening casement; apron panel with inscription recording the
foundation; 1906 flanking single-chamfered lights and end
3-light single-chamfered-mullioned windows; 2 gabled dormers;
all with leaded glazing.
Rear has gabled wing, the left return wall of which was moved
back in 1906, with end gabled wing and re-entrant stair wing;
similar windows and some 2-light casements; left return has
segmental-headed windows with terracotta sills and 4-pane
casements. C20 wing to rear.
INTERIOR: inner entrance has original door with strap hinges;
hall has stop-chamfered beams, close-studded partition walls
and doorways with slight ogee heads and plank doors; 1st floor
and corridors to wings have similar details, some 3-panel
doors and one with wooden latch; chapel to 1st floor centre
has simple details: plain benches and window with C17 or C18
latch; open well stick-baluster staircase.
HISTORY: the hospital was founded in 1424 and re-founded
1502-4 by Dr Milley for almswomen; it is built on the site of
the town ditch.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
1974-: P.192; Victoria History of the County of Stafford:
Oxford: 1970-: P.275-8).
Listing NGR: SK1135509759
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings