This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.629 / 52°37'44"N
Longitude: 1.2925 / 1°17'32"E
OS Eastings: 622920
OS Northings: 308560
OS Grid: TG229085
Mapcode National: GBR W8V.13
Mapcode Global: WHMTM.T5NW
Plus Code: 9F43J7HR+HX
Entry Name: The Guildhall
Listing Date: 26 February 1954
Last Amended: 8 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187384
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229121
Location: Mancroft, Norwich, Norfolk, NR2
Electoral Ward/Division: Mancroft
Built-Up Area: Norwich
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Norwich St Peter, Mancroft with St John Maddermarket
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
This list entry has been subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/11/2018
TG 2208 NE
GUILDHALL HILL (south side)
(Formerly listed under Market Place)
Former Guildhall, now Magistrates Court. C15 onwards with major additions in 1861 by Thomas Barry. Quaternary and Quarry flint with Lincolnshire Limestone, Bath Stone and brick dressings. Low-pitch lead covered roofs. Island site.
South facade: two and three storeys. Six bays with the right-hand two bays recessed and dropped. C19 two-storied additions across four and half bays with central entrance having two-centre arch on attached columns in buttressed tower. Three bays each side of tower with fortified ground-floor windows and traceried triangular arch windows at first floor. Re-used C16 doorway at extreme left-side. Two-and three-light windows in medieval wall with traceried heads. Crenellated parapet with C19 turret at east end.
Fine moulded timber ceiling at first floor east with pendants. Decorated linenfold panelling and carved bench-ends in same room. Remains of medieval staircase arrangement immediately west of panelled room. Three bay twin-aisled brick-built undercroft beneath the east end of the building. Three large barrel-vaulted side chambers beneath the western half of the building. Formerly Scheduled as an Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: TG2292008560
Other nearby listed buildings