History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1, High Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1926 / 52°11'33"N

Longitude: -1.7062 / 1°42'22"W

OS Eastings: 420181

OS Northings: 254972

OS Grid: SP201549

Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.FGX

Mapcode Global: VHBY0.C4WZ

Plus Code: 9C4W57VV+3G

Entry Name: 1, High Street

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 4 April 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187808

English Heritage Legacy ID: 366279

Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37

County: Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in



604-1/10/113 (East side)
25/10/51 No.1
(Formerly Listed as:
Judith Shakespeare Cafe)


Town house, now office. c1600 with earlier cellars; early C19
alterations; 1923 restoration. Roughcast to earlier
timber-frame on coursed rubble plinth; hipped renewed-tile
roof with brick end stack.
Exterior conjectured by Forrest to have had 2 jetties to each
side, and gable to Bridge Street.
3 storeys; 2-window range. Wide eaves and bracketed lead
gutter. Early C20 shop front with small-paned glazing and
similar paired doors, fascia extends around corner. Upper
floors have projecting wooden-mullioned and transomed windows
of 4 and 5 lights with leaded glazing. Canted ground floor
angle has embossed lead plaque recording the building's
Shakespearian connections and its restoration for the partners
of WH Smith and Son, whose shop this was 1906-22. Return to
Bridge Street similar; entrance to left of shop window;
cross-axial stack.
INTERIOR: cellar has stone walls and enriched plaster ceiling
and cornice, interrupted by later partitions. Ground floor has
heavy beams and dragon beam to left of entrance, and flat
joists rebated for floorboards; C20 stair. 1st floor has 2
rooms with posts to former partition wall; stone fireplace to
right end; attic has tie-beam and collar trusses, one truss
with close-studded infill; close-studded rear and right return
walls and right end fireplace.
HISTORICAL NOTE: formerly the property of Richard Quiney and
the home of Shakespeare's daughter Judith who married
Richard's son Thomas in 1616. The cellar is said to have been
part of an early town gaol, known for a period from c1470 as
The Cage, used for wine storage by Richard Quiney. Records:
(Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and
Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 41; History of the Streets of
Stratford-upon-Avon: Bearman R et al: High Street: 1971-1974;
Forrest H E: The Old Houses of Stratford-upon-Avon: London:
1925-: 61-2).

Listing NGR: SP2018154972

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.