This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1928 / 52°11'34"N
Longitude: -1.7067 / 1°42'24"W
OS Eastings: 420147
OS Northings: 254992
OS Grid: SP201549
Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.FBG
Mapcode Global: VHBY0.C4LT
Plus Code: 9C4W57VV+48
Entry Name: Barclays Bank
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 4 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207522
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366467
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP2054NW WOOD STREET
604-1/10/266 (North side)
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
Market House, now bank. 1821 incorporating c1640 building
refronted in C18; 1860s enclosing of ground floor; converted
to bank 1908. By William Thompson, builder William Izod.
Stucco with ashlar dressings.
2 storeys; 3-window facade with rounded angles to corner of
Bridge Street and single-window returns to Wood Street and
Henley Street. Top cornice and parapet with clock tower.
Entrance has large doorcase with impost course, key and
segmental pediment fanlight over paired 3-fielded-panel doors.
Windows have sills; round-headed windows originally open
arches until 1860s, with 3-light transomed wooden glazing,
those to returns with small flanking windows; 1st floor has
windows with similar glazing. Rainwater head with cherub.
Cupola has square base and canted angles, panelled faces with
4-face clock and round-headed openings to angles; top
entablature, copper cupola and wind vane with Shakespeare
3-storey-with-attic, 2-window range to Wood Street: brick with
internal timber-frame and tile roof; right-angle plan. Platt
band over 1st and 2nd floors and Dutch gable. Windows have
rubbed brick flat arches over 9-pane horned sashes to ground
floor, 12-pane horned sashes to upper floors; attic has window
with 2-light leaded casement. Good rainwater head. Some
exposed timber-frame to left return and C20 two-storey
addition to rear.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the market hall of Stratford until 1908,
replacing a C16 building. It occupies one of the most
important sites in Stratford, on the corner of Wood Street,
Henley Street and Union Street and closing the view up Bridge
(Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and
Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 16-7, 62).
Listing NGR: SP2014754992
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings