This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1917 / 52°11'30"N
Longitude: -1.7067 / 1°42'23"W
OS Eastings: 420148
OS Northings: 254872
OS Grid: SP201548
Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.FBV
Mapcode Global: VHBY0.C5MN
Entry Name: 21, High Street
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187813
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366286
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP2054NW HIGH STREET
604-1/10/120 (East side)
Town house, now shop/dwelling. c1600, before 1615; 1920s
restoration. Timber-frame with plaster infill on rubble
plinth; tile roof with rear brick stack with 4 clustered
separate diagonal shafts.
3 storeys plus attic; symmetrical 4-window range. 1st and 2nd
floors are jettied on consoles and joist ends; 2 gables. Early
C20 shop front with small-paned upper glazing and glazing
flanking recessed entrance; entry to left has studded
wide-board door. 1st and 2nd floors have windows with sills
and 12-pane sashes, probably mid C18. Attic has small 3-light
ovolo-mullioned windows. Close-studded framing with mid rails.
Right return has exposed framing. Rear has gabled wing with
cross-axial stack with clustered separate diamond shafts;
INTERIOR: broadly chamfered beams; noted as having early C17
doors, panelling etc. The building originally formed one house
with Nos 18 & 19 (qv).
(Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and
Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 40; History of the Streets of
Stratford-upon-Avon: Bearman R et al: High Street: 1971-1974).
Listing NGR: SP2014854872
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings