History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

17 and 18, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1919 / 52°11'30"N

Longitude: -1.7064 / 1°42'23"W

OS Eastings: 420163

OS Northings: 254891

OS Grid: SP201548

Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.FDZ

Mapcode Global: VHBY0.C5QJ

Entry Name: 17 and 18, High Street

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1298522

English Heritage Legacy ID: 366284

Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Stratford-upon-Avon

Listing Text


STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW HIGH STREET
604-1/10/118 (East side)
25/10/51 Nos.17 AND 18

GV II

Town house now shop and restaurant. c1600 restored 1920.
Timber-frame with plaster infill; tile roof with rear brick
stacks.
3 storeys and attic; symmetrical 3-window range. Jettied 1st
floor and three C20 gables with decorative barge-boards with
finials. Late C20 shop front. Upper floors have C20
wooden-mullioned windows; 1st floor has 4-light transomed
oriels; 2nd floor has similar 4-light projecting windows
moulded; attic has small 2-light windows; all with leaded
glazing. Enriched C20 lead rainwater heads and downspouts.
Close-studded framing with mid rails.
Rear has 2 gabled brick wings with cross-axial stacks, one
with 2 cruciform shafts; lower timber-framed wing with similar
cross-wing which has lower timber-framed addition with altered
roof; C20 single-storey infill.
INTERIOR: some broadly chamfered beams to rear of ground
floor; 1st floor has late C16 panelling, some re-set, and
fluted friezes and one with pattern of half-circles, and 2
fireplaces; partition wall with infill removed. Recorded as
newly built 1614; may incorporate earlier structure.
(Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and
Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 40; History of the Streets of
Stratford-upon-Avon: Bearman R et al: High Street: 1971-1974).


Listing NGR: SP2016354891

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.