History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Reigate Priory

A Grade I Listed Building in Reigate, Surrey

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.2355 / 51°14'7"N

Longitude: -0.2063 / 0°12'22"W

OS Eastings: 525318

OS Northings: 150004

OS Grid: TQ253500

Mapcode National: GBR JJ0.GN7

Mapcode Global: VHGS9.C6SQ

Entry Name: Reigate Priory

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1188089

English Heritage Legacy ID: 289279

Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, RH2

County: Surrey

District: Reigate and Banstead

Town: Reigate and Banstead

Electoral Ward/Division: Reigate Central

Built-Up Area: Reigate

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Reigate

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(West Side)
Reigate Priory
TQ 2549 NW 16/37 19.10.51
TQ 2550 SW 12/37


Purchased by Reigate Corporation in 1945. Now a Council School. The exact date
of the foundation of the medieval Priory is not known, but it was prior to the
death of William de Warrenne in 1240. At the dissolution it was granted to William,
1st Lord Howard of Effingham, who built a house on the site in which some parts
of the C13 Priory were incorporated. His son, Charles, 2nd Lord Howard of Effingham,
later 1st Earl of Nottingham, who defeated the Spanish Armada, lived here and
is buried in Reigate Parish Church. John Foxe, author of the "Book of Martyrs",
also lived in the house for a time when tutor to the family. Archbishop Usher
died there in 1656. James II, Duke of York, occasionally occupied the house between
1662 and 1672. In 1766-1779 the house was rebuilt by Richard Ireland, who entertained
John Wesley there in 1771. Substantially the exterior is of this date, though
some parts of Howard's Tudor house remain and are visible at the back, facing
the courtyard. Also a 5-light mullioned and transomed window remains in an internal
wall. Half H-shaped, south-facing building of 2 storeys, 11 windows. Reigate
stone, stuccoed. Wood modillion eaves cornice and central pediment holding an
achievement of arms in a panel surrounded by 3 busts in shell headed niches.
Tiled roof with lead ridges, hipped above the 2-bay wings with angle pilasters.
Replaced sash windows with glazing bars on 1st floor, casements with transoms
and glazing bars below; in moulded wood architraves. Doorway in the centre with
curved pediment over containing a cartouche in the tympanum. In the angles made
by the wings are little curved bays containing tiny windows. The North front
has been cemented but shows its Tudor origin in 2 gables containing casement windows
with small square leaded panes. The other windows are sash windows with glazing
bars intact. Inside, a magnificent carved chimney piece designed by Holbein and
brought from Blechingley Place; 2 other C17 fireplaces brought from Castle Ditch
near Ledbury; and a fine early C18 staircase with wall and ceiling decorations
by Verrio and Corinthian screens top and bottom; and a back staircase of late
C17 type. At right angles to this front of the house is a red brick wing of 3
storeys, 5 windows, and 3 gables added or rebuilt by Isabel Caroline, daughter
of the 3rd Earl Somers (Lady Henry Somerset) in 1895. The other building at right
angles to this and parallel to the house was presumably stables, though it has
more the appearance of a real tennis court or riding school. C18. Red brick.
Stringcourse. Coved cemented eaves cornice. Hipped tiled roof. 7 modern windows
at ground floor level. Little round openings above them and bull's eye windows
at 1st floor level with an elliptical window in the centre. Doorway in moulded
architrave surround below this window. The court-yard is completed on the west
side by a red brick wall with fine crested wrought iron railing and 3 pairs of
stuccoed gate piers, brought here from the Bell Street entrance to the house.
The outer ones, which are for pedestrians, are rusticated and surmounted by vases;
the centre ones, which flank the carriage entrance, panelled and surmounted by
the figures of eagles.

Listing NGR: TQ2533050030

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.