This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6441 / 52°38'38"N
Longitude: -1.0443 / 1°2'39"W
OS Eastings: 464761
OS Northings: 305577
OS Grid: SK647055
Mapcode National: GBR 9NX.6S8
Mapcode Global: WHFKH.XSWV
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188364
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190743
Location: Scraptoft, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE7
Civil Parish: Scraptoft
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Scraptoft All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 60 NW CHURCH HILL (East Side)
1/85 Church of All Saints
Church. C13-C15, restored 1867. Coursed squared stone and rubble stone,
mostly granite rubble stone in S aisle, with stone dressings and leaded roofs.
Stone coped gables and parapet to chancel. W tower, nave, aisles, chancel
and S porch. Tower of 2 stages with S angle buttresses, W buttress and N
diagonal buttress, all with set-offs. Small S door with blocked 1-light over.
4 simple Perp 2-light bell openings, battlements and crocketted pinnacles.
Blocked nave arch of which hood mould remains. Small C19 W door from nave
to tower. 4 bay arcades with 2 wide arches and a narrower arch at either
end. Double chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Perp clerestory with
3 2-light N windows and 4 similar S windows. C15 4 bay low-pitch tie-beam
truss roof with carved bosses and blind arcading in gables. N aisle has restored
windows, the N W with Curvilinear tracery and mid C19 stained glass, the 2
N with Intersected tracery and stained glass of 1899 by A. Ballantine and
Gardiner, Edinburgh, and the N E with Reticulated tracery. N many-moulded
doorway. Restored C15 4 bay low-pitch tie-beam truss roof with carved bosses.
Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner supported on carved head corbels.
Chancel has 2 blocked windows to both N and S. E window with Curvilinear
tracery and stained glass of 1893. C15 3 bay low-pitch tie-beam truss roof
with blind arcading in gables. S aisle has 3 Perp windows, 2 with mid 1920's
stained glass (peacock monogram) and another of 1979 by John Hayward. S W
window with Curvilinear tracery and mid C19 stained glass. Small niche and
c1300 S doorway. C15 4 bay low-pitch tie-beam truss roof with carved bosses
and heads and blind arcading in gables. C19 gable S porch, the upper part
of wooden open work. C13 round font. Series of C18 finely carved slate tomb
slabs in chancel. Series of C18/early C19 wall monuments including those
to Sir Edward Wigley, died 1710, and wife (2 fine busts), James Wigley, died
1765, and Andrew Noel, died 1736. C14 recumbent effigy of a priest, said
to be a Prior of Coventry, now set sideways in N chancel wall : much defaced.
Listing NGR: SK6476105577
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings