This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2991 / 51°17'56"N
Longitude: -0.4935 / 0°29'36"W
OS Eastings: 505123
OS Northings: 156634
OS Grid: TQ051566
Mapcode National: GBR 1M.SB4
Mapcode Global: VHFV9.DLFY
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Last Amended: 25 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188603
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288736
Location: Ripley, Guildford, Surrey, GU23
Civil Parish: Ripley
Built-Up Area: Ripley
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Ripley
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ O5NE RIPLEY C.P. HIGH STREET
2/155 Church of St. Mary
14/6/67 the Virgin (Formerly
listed as The Church
of St. Mary)
Church. C12 chancel with nave of 1846 by B. Ferrey and aisle of 1869 by
Sir T. G. Jackson. Puddingstone and flint rubble with sandstone dressings to chancel;
flint rubble with ashlar dressings to remainder; all under plain tiled roofs with
gable crosses. Nave with aisle to north,porch to south, chancel to east and gabled
bellcote on west end. Lancet windows to nave, all on cill course with roll-moulding
and hood string course above, nook shafts to edges. Windows alternate with offset
buttresses. C12 and C13 lancet windows to chancel, 2 on north and south sides,
clasping buttresses to east end. 3-light,pointed arch,window to east under
quatrefoil roundel. Roundel window to east end of north aisle and larger 3-light
windows to north wall of aisle. C20 church hall extension to north. 5-light west
window - 2 lancets open and 3 blocked - with jamb shafts and mouldings. Narrow door
under hood mould, deeply-recessed with jamb shafts flanking. Gabled porch to south
with arched and studded door. Two orders of jamb shafts and 4-roll mouldings to
Interior:- 4 bay arcade to north aisle with alternate round and octagonal piers.
Hood mouldings to arches and braced kingpost roof to north aisle, windbraced king-
post roof to nave. Narrow chancel arch to Norman chancel. Originally rib-vaulted
roof, now renewed, the walls have intricate scalloped capitals to round columns in
angles and triple attached columns in centre of north and south walls - intended to
take the main ribs of the vault. Enriched, diamond pattern and stiff leaf, flower
like ornament to string course. Black and white stone floor. Blocked square
openings to west, north and south walls.
Fittings: Arched piscina in east wall of chancel. C19 stone font to north west
corner, circular, with 4 lobes on round pier and central octagonal stem. Late C19
organ. C19 pews.
Stained glass: North East window 1901 by A. J. Dix. Further window by
Monuments: South wall. Wall monuments to Duncomb Stuart, Nathaniel and Anne Stuart
1729. Veined grey marble, round arched panel with darker stone arch. Fluted pseudo-
pilasters on white pedestals under keystone arch.
South wall: Monument to John and Francis Chatfield 1765. Grey slate with white
stone inscription, crowned by draped urn on fluted apron.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp 443.
Listing NGR: TQ0512356634
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings