This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.447 / 54°26'49"N
Longitude: -1.1713 / 1°10'16"W
OS Eastings: 453838
OS Northings: 506050
OS Grid: NZ538060
Mapcode National: GBR NK80.7N
Mapcode Global: WHD7L.ZHF6
Entry Name: Church of St Augustine
Listing Date: 23 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189284
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333209
Location: Kirkby, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, TS9
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Kirkby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Kirkby-in-Cleveland St Augustine
Church of England Diocese: York
KIRKBY KIRKBY LANE
NZ 50 NW
4/150 Church of St.
Parish church. 1815 on early medieval site, re-using some old
masonry as vestry. Chancel rebuilt after 1900 by Temple Moore.
Coursed herringbone-tooled sandstone with dressings, flat plinth;
vestry pecked sandstone. Nave and vestry roofs Lakeland slate,
chancel roof flat clay tiles. West tower, nave, chancel with south
aisle, north chapel, south vestry. 4-bay nave with round-arched
windows of plain leaded glass. Sundial between first and second
windows. Taller 5-bay chancel with clerestory. 3-bay south chancel
aisle with sloped and stpped buttress bay divisions; narrow,
chamfered segment-headed windows. Old vestry to east of aisle
looks C16. Door and narrow double-chamfered window, with deep
sloping cill, are Moore's work though the window head looks old.
Vestry has massive quoins and 2 slit windows in east wall. Tall
neo-Decorated east window; east end buttresses crowned by octagonal
tourelles. Tall 3-light neo-Tudor window on north side of chancel,
directly below clerestory. To west memorial chapel with windows
moved out from nave position, but a Moore door and chamfered single
light. Old grave slab against north nave wall.
Interior: Georgian part plastered. 6-panel doors from tower to
nave and from stick-baluster stair to west gallery, with stepped
seating and panelled front, on 2 wood columns. Triple archway (the
side arches quite small) to stone chancel with false hammerbeam
roof. Aumbry, piscina and sedilia in chancel. Fragments of Saxon
sculpture in rebuilt west vestry wall. Triple arches to north
chapel and south aisle. Sculpture: 2 pieces of cross with interlace,
parts of head and shaft; wheel, standing figure and figure on
ass back; also early grave cover. Late Georgian memorial tablets
in nave, mostly to Grenside family. Good oak woodwork in chancel,
and carved and painted reredos.
Listing NGR: NZ5383806050
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings