This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1883 / 51°11'17"N
Longitude: -0.4001 / 0°24'0"W
OS Eastings: 511908
OS Northings: 144447
OS Grid: TQ119444
Mapcode National: GBR HH0.FP2
Mapcode Global: VHFVY.0DVD
Entry Name: Beatrice Webb House
Listing Date: 13 March 1973
Last Amended: 11 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189436
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290024
Location: Abinger, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Abinger
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Abinger
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
ABINGER C.P. PASTUREWOOD ROAD
6/54 Beatrice Webb House
13/3/73 (Formerly listed as
House, now conference centre. 1893 by W. Flockhart, for Frederick Merrilees
in Tudor style, extended to rear and right by E. Lutyens in 1906. Brown brick
below with half-timber above, colourwash render infilled and plain tiled Mansard
roofs. T-shaped plan with former service range projecting to left now linked to
enclose entrance court. Two storeys and attics to left of centre, 3 storeys to
right and two storeys on left. Tall, panelled and ribbed stacks to left end of
left bay, further stacks at junction of ranges and to rear. Gable end to right
with projecting first floor. Two first floor and one gabled window across. Two
3-light, leaded second floor windows, one 7-light window to centre, with centre
3-lights projecting, to first floor right. Square bay to ground floor right with
two 10-light leaded windows under billeted lintels. Two flat roof leaded dormers
to left of centre and three, leaded, 3-light windows to first floor, pentice
across ground floor with four by 2, stone-dressed, lights. Irregular fenestration
in link bay to left to 6 bay stable range. Three steep gables and six windows
across the first floor. 8 windows below. Double doors to left. Main entrance to
left of centre in big gable with chamfered and moulded braced entrance to porch
recess. Arched with billeted lintel over. Panelled door to left hand wall of
porch recess under 4-centred arch with keystoned, gauged brick lintel. Single
storey flat roofed extensions to right. Right hand return front:- massive off-
set plinth to 3 diagonal stacks, two windows in plinth, roof sweeping down to
loggia. Rear - half-H shape with recessed centre range and projecting end gables
with attic windows. One first floor window to each (an oriel to left) and large
mullioned and transomed window to ground floor. Three leaded dormers. Square bay
to ground floor left of centre and flat hood across centre ground floor recess.
Interior:- Stained glass in one of inglenooks designed by George Bernard Shaw and
made by Caroline Townsend showing Shaw, Sidney Webb and E. R. Pease (Secretary of
the Fabian Society), in medieval dress. Other Fabians below include H. G. Wells.
Rock garden laid out by G. Jekyll.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.316.
Listing NGR: TQ1190844447
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings