This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0329 / 54°1'58"N
Longitude: -1.2214 / 1°13'17"W
OS Eastings: 451094
OS Northings: 459935
OS Grid: SE510599
Mapcode National: GBR MPXT.C2
Mapcode Global: WHD9J.6WMP
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 17 May 1960
Last Amended: 21 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190709
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332115
Location: Newton-on-Ouse, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO30
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Newton-on-Ouse
Built-Up Area: Newton-on-Ouse
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Newton-on-Ouse All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 55 NW
CHERRY TREE AVENUE
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Church. Early C12, 1849. C19 work by G T Andrew for the Hon Lydia Dawnay of Beningbrough Hall. Rusticated rubblestone brought to course with coursed dressed sandstone tower, limestone spire, ashlar dressings and stone slate roofs. West tower, aisled nave with south porch, chancel with north vestry. Decorated style. Tower: plain C12 lower stage with a single, trefoil-headed slit-window to each face and a lower, pointed arch window of 2 trefoil-headed lights and quatrefoil under hoodmould to west face; clock. Upper stage of 1849 has band, quoined 2-light window to each face, coved eaves band, gargoyles, open-work parapet, corner pinnacles and recessed spire (top rebuilt) with thin flying buttresses, lucarnes and weather vane. Nave: 4 bays; chamfered plinth, buttresses, gabled porch; 2 traceried, 3-light, triangular-headed windows to south aisle; 4 traceried circular windows to clerestory; coping; fleur-de-lis finials. Chancel: 2 bays, lower and narrower; central priests door flanked by 2-light windows with head-stopped hood-moulds. East window of 5 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil and mouchettes over. Interior: tower arch, early C12, has paired engaged columns with necking, chamfered abaci and plain cornices. Nave: octagonal columns with moulded bases and capitals supporting pointed-arch arcade under hoodmoulds with angel stops. Chancel: south-west window has stained glass of 1827. East window 1848 by Willement. Brass plate to the 6th Viscount Downe, former incumbent of the church (d 1846) and his wife (d 1848). The 1849 church took the place of the one rebuilt in 1839.
Listing NGR: SE5109459935
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings