This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0808 / 52°4'50"N
Longitude: -0.8728 / 0°52'21"W
OS Eastings: 477343
OS Northings: 243088
OS Grid: SP773430
Mapcode National: GBR BY7.G53
Mapcode Global: VHDSR.TYGR
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 17 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1191073
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235340
Location: Potterspury, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, MK19
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Potterspury
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Potterspury with Furtho and Yardley Gobion
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
7/103 Church of St. Bartholomew
Church. C12 and C14 substantially rebuilt c.1620 and restored 1870. Coursed
squared limestone, slate roof to nave, plain-tile roofs to chancel and tower.
Chancel, nave and west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light east window with
curvilinear tracery, ogee-arched heads to lights and hood mould. Pair of 2-light
windows to south with straight heads and Decorated tracery and small blocked
rectangular window below south-west window with chamfered stone surround.
Round-arched priest's door to south with hood mould and label stops. Diagonal
off-set buttresses, 2 offset buttresses to north and chamfered plinth to east
end. 3-bay nave has 3-light arched mullion windows with cut spandrels and hood
moulds, except for similar 2-light window to west of south door. South doorway
with chamfer, Tudor-arched head, cut spandrels, hood mould and plank door.
Similar doorway to north. Stone bracket water-spouts to west end either side of
tower. Chamfered plinth. Plain parapet with moulded string to base and shield to
middle of south side of parapet with initials in rectangular wave-moulded
surround. Finial to east gable. 2-stage tower is partly built within west end of
nave and has 3-light window to west similar to those of nave and similar
bell-chamber openings, wave-moulded plinth, diagonal off-set buttresses, string
and moulded string to base of battlemented parapet. Parapet has pair of
water-spouts to west resembling urns. Pyramidal roof. Interior; chancel has
image brackets either side of east window, pointed trefoil-headed piscina,
double sunk quadrant moulded tomb recess to north side and blocked window to
north-west with pointed trefoil head. 2-bay roof with cambered tie beam, rest
concealed by plaster ceiling. Double-chamfered chancel and tower arches with
continuous chamfer outermost and polygonal responds innermost with chamfered
bases and moulded capitals. Nave has 3-bay roof with many-moulded wall plate,
moulded tie beams to principal rafters, moulded purlins and ridge piece, king
posts and ogee-stop-chamfered rafters. Small C17 octagonal stone font. The
church was rebuilt at the expense of Sir Robert Banastre of Passenham who
purchased the Manor of Furtho in 1625.
(Buildings of England; Northamptonshire: 1973, p221)
Listing NGR: SP7734343088
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings