This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8707 / 50°52'14"N
Longitude: 0.0071 / 0°0'25"E
OS Eastings: 541320
OS Northings: 109834
OS Grid: TQ413098
Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.8MD
Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.SP1
Entry Name: Southover Grange
Listing Date: 25 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192300
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293352
Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Lewes
Built-Up Area: Lewes
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Lewes St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 4109 NW LEWES SOUTHOVER HIGH STREET
14/366 (east side)
25.2.52 Southover Grange
House. 1572 for William Newton, Steward to the Earl of Dorset.
Dressed Caen stone, removed from the Priory, with coped parapets to roof
of Horsham slabs on lower slabs and plain tiles on upper slopes.
Various irregular red brick stacks and a pair of C19 gabled dormers with
decorative bargeboards. U-plan with wing to rear at left. West front:
2 storeys and attics. Projecting wings to left and right with central
recess, filled on ground floor. Fenestration slightly irregular of
2 - 3 - 1 rhythm. Ovolo-moulded cross-windows on ground-floor of wings,
with 2-light mullioned windows above, all with hood-mouldings. Small
2-light window with chamfered mullion in garret with hoodmould to right.
2-light window in garret to left, similar to first-floor windows but
smaller. 2-light ovolo-moulded mullioned windows in central recess, flanking
central window of 3 lights with shield over central light and reveal and hood-
mould, continuous over all 3 first floor windows in recess, stepped over.
Small central triangular gablet with finial on parapet. 6-light C19 transom
and mullions windows with rounded tracery to upper lights flanking rounded
Tudor-arched entrance with boarded and ribbed door, moulded surround, florally-
decorated spandrela and uncarved shield with light attached over. Continuous
hoodmould over all three openings. All windows with leaded casements in
iron frames. Small pedimented aedicule on first floor of re-entrant angle of
left wing containing shield of lion rampant. North front: Stack on ridge to
left of brick with arched panelled sides, over sailing cornice and with C19
bell in gabled wooden bell-cote. Main features of projecting wing to left
of centre and two tall stone chimney-breasts to right. Two gabled semi-dormers
flanking lefthand stack, both with gable-parapets and kneelers. Two ovolo-
moulded cross windows flanking stack with hoodmould continued around stack and
over single-light window in stack. Projecting wing with regular fenestration
of 5-light ovolo-moulded windows on ground and first floors and 2-light window
in garret and two windows flanking at half-levels between ground and first
floors and first and second floors, those above of 2 lights those below single.
All windows cast-iron casements with leaded lights and hoodmoulds. East
front L-plan with projecting canted staircase wing and further gabled wing in
re-entrant angle. 2 storeys with attics to right. Irregular fenestration.
Interior: Hall - panelled ceiling with moulded beams on shield corbels.
Marble fire-surround with Neo-Jacobean overmantel. Dining room - fire
surround with stone-moulded Tudor arch, inscribed 'WN 1572' in spandrels and
overmantel marked 'Ye Old/Welsh/Parliament/House/Dolgelly'. Staircase -
C19 Neo-Jacobean staircase with twisted baluster and early C18 hanging lantern
with foliage decoration. John Evelyn, the diarist, lived in Southover
Grange as a boy during the early seventeenth century. It was later used as
the original of Mockbeggar's Hall in Ovingdean Grange by William Harrison
Listing NGR: TQ4132009834
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings