This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4092 / 52°24'33"N
Longitude: -0.6885 / 0°41'18"W
OS Eastings: 489307
OS Northings: 279835
OS Grid: SP893798
Mapcode National: GBR DX2.SWZ
Mapcode Global: VHFNS.0PVY
Plus Code: 9C4XC856+MH
Entry Name: Church of St Edmund
Listing Date: 25 February 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192374
English Heritage Legacy ID: 231157
Location: Warkton, Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN16
Civil Parish: Warkton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Warkton St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP8879 Church of St.Edmund
Parish church. C12 origin, tower and alterations of C15,
chancel mid C18, restoration of 1868. Ashlar and coursed
limestone rubble with a scattering of ironstone. Low-pitched
roofs (probably of lead). Nave and aisles, south porch, west
tower, chancel and north tomb-house. 4-stage, west tower has
plinth clasping buttresses, quatrefoil fireze with gargoyles
and castellated parapet with corner pinnacles. West side has
C19 double doors in roll- moulded arched entrance in square
label. Quatrefoil frieze over and 3-light Perpendicular window
with transom above. Tiny stair lights. Bell-stage has 2-light,
Perpendicular windows with transom. Nave, aisles and chancel
have plain parapets. 2 C19 3-light Perpendicular style square
headed aisle windows. 2 similar 2-light clerestory windows.
Gabled south porch enclosing arched entrance with C19 door.
Little C19 arched priests doorway to south aisle. Chancel has
plinth, 2 plain raised bands, cornice and tall plain- parapet.
East end has one huge round-headed leaded window, with plain
impost blocks and keystone, pediment over. Railings in front.
Interior: 2-bay nave arcade of plain semi-circular arches on
cylindrical columns with plain capitals and square abaci.
Tower arch of 2 chamfered orders, partly concealed by organ
gallery. Perpendicular style roofs, that to south aisle. Locks
later. Chancel arch C19. East end of south aisle has 3-light
C15 window (rediscovered in C19 and serving as pattern for
restoration of aisle windows) with traces of painting on
left-hand jamb. South aisle west window has C19 stained glass.
East end of north aisle has panelled door leading to
tomb-house. Font, probably medieval, on C19 base. Chancel has
cornice, cove and moulded rectangular ceiling panel. Each side
has 2 large niches with scrolly keystones and impost blocks
linked by frieze with wave moulding. The niches contain 4
colossal monuments, to John, Duke of Montagu, d.1752, by L.F.
Reubiliac, and to Mary, Duchess of Montagu, d.1775, by Robert
Adam and P.M. van Gelder (on north side), to Mary, Duichess of
Montagu, d.1753, by L.F. Reubiliac and to Elizabeth, Duchess
of Buccleuch, d.1827, by Thomas Campbell (on south side).
Paved stone and marble floor, curved altar dais of black
marble and mid-C18 communion rail with 4 scrolly iron
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: pp442-4).
Listing NGR: SP8930779835
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings