This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4197 / 52°25'10"N
Longitude: -0.6952 / 0°41'42"W
OS Eastings: 488835
OS Northings: 280990
OS Grid: SP888809
Mapcode National: GBR CVQ.C1K
Mapcode Global: VHDR9.WFVX
Plus Code: 9C4XC893+VW
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 25 February 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192452
English Heritage Legacy ID: 231179
Location: Weekley, North Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN16
County: North Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Weekley
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Weekley St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
Tagged with: Church building
SP8880 Church of St.Mary
Parish church. Largely C14 and C15, but with origin of c.1200
and heavily restored 1873 by Sir A. Blomfield. Coursed
limestone rubble and ashlar, with some ironstone, lead roofs.
West tower and spire, nave and aisles, south porch chancel,
north vestry., 2-stage west tower has plinth course set back
buttresses with set-offs. Bell stage has 2-light Decorated
windows (that to south lengthened) Frieze with ballflower and
heads, gargoyles at angles. Castellated parapet. South side of
tower has clock above small square window with leaded glazing.
West side has C19 door,m and a single-light spire with 2 tiers
of lucarnes, Nave, aisles and chancel have plain parapets.
South side: C19 porch enclosing roll-moulded round entrance
arch of 2 orders, on plain columns with bell capitals. C19
door. Aisle has string course, 2 2- light Perpendicular
windows divided by buttress, and a tiny "low side" window of 2
lights. 3 2-light Perpendicular clerestory windows. East end
of south aisle has 3-light Perpendicular window and 3 C19
commemorative tablets (damaged) 5-light C19 Decorated style,
East window. C19 north-east vestry. North aisle from east to
west has a 2-light Perpendicular window, a 2-light
square-headed window with ogee lights and a blocked
pointed-arched doorway. West end of north aisle has a 2-light
Perpendicular or Perpendicular style window crossing a blocked
round-headed arch with a straight joint to right. West end of
south aisle is similar though the remains of the arch are more
fragmentary and it dies into one straight joint. Interior:
3-bay Perpendicular nave arcade with quatrefoil piers.
Clerestory windows continue as recessed panels down to string
course Decorated tower arch of 3 chamfered orders. Nave roof
arch braced from cabels to very slightly cambered tie beam.
Purlins ridge piece and rafters chamfered. South aisle roof
strutted off cambered tie beams. North aisle roof C19. Chancel
arch similar to those of nave arcade. Chancel interior mostly
of 1873 by Blomfield, but retains lancet in very deep splayed
opening to north (now into vestry). North aisle contains a
good set of monuments: to Sir Edward Montague, d.1557, a tomb-
chest with recumbent figure, to another Sir Edward Montagu,
d.1602, an elaborate canopied monument with 2 recumbent
effigies, and an architectural tablet to a third Sir Edward
Monague, d.1644, as well as a fragment of Norman carved
stonework set into the wall above an aumbry. C19 font,
fittings and stained glass (the east window commemorating
Reverend John Lucas Sutton, d.1871, and his family).
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: PP449-50).
Listing NGR: SP8883580990
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings