History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade I Listed Building in Hatfield, Doncaster

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.5787 / 53°34'43"N

Longitude: -1.0001 / 1°0'0"W

OS Eastings: 466301

OS Northings: 409586

OS Grid: SE663095

Mapcode National: GBR PWG1.8W

Mapcode Global: WHFF2.L9ZV

Plus Code: 9C5WHXHX+FX

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 24 November 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1192628

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334629

Location: Hatfield, Doncaster, DN7

County: Doncaster

Civil Parish: Hatfield

Built-Up Area: Dunscroft

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Hatfield St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in


SE 6609 (SE 60 NE)
(east side)
16/54 Church of St. Lawrence

Church. C12 origin, C13 arcades otherwise mostly C15; 1872 alterations by
Thomas Jackson, 1882 restoration by Edwin Dolby. Pebble, rubble and ashlar
limestone, lead and slate roofs. Cruciform plan having 5-bay aisled nave,
crossing tower and 3-bay chancel with chapels. Mostly Perpendicular,
embattled with crocketed pinnacles except for nave aisles. Nave: south
aisle: rebuilt gabled porch to bays 2 and 3 has shafted jambs to a 3-order
pointed arch; C12 inner door with round arch and hood with ball and billet
ornament and head-carved stops; old oak door with E-shaped hinges. Rubble-
walled bay 1 has west buttress and slit window; bays 4 and 5 with Decorated
3-light windows, one with mouchettes the other with cusped intersecting
tracery. Nest door, flanked by large buttresses, has C12 4-order round arch
with shafts and carved capitals; transomed 5-light Perpendicular window
above. North aisle: large C19 buttresses rise as gablets above eaves; bays
1, 3 and 4 have square-headed windows of 2 ogee lights, bay-2 window of 3
cusped lights; bay 5 with pointed 3-light window with Decorated tracery;small
C12 west window. Clerestorey: purely C15 with panel-traceried heads to 3-
light windows beneath 2-centred arches, hoodmould with weathered head-carved
stops. Transepts: chamfered plinth and moulded band, angle buttresses;
transomed 5-light windows with panel tracery. Tower; angle buttresses,
hooded 4-light pointed-arch windows beneath shields with Savage arms; 2
string courses (with south clock between) below paired 2-light belfry
openings with transoms. Chancel: chapels have buttresses between bays and
cusped, square-headed 3-light windows with hoodmoulds; north chapel windows
unrestored, the merlons above with carved motifs. Three differing
Perpendicular windows to east, the chancel window uncusped and transomed, the
south chapel window with cusped panelling.
Interior: C13 aisle arcades with cylindrical piers and matching responds to
double-chamfered arches; north aisle spanned by double-chamfered arches from
semi-octagonal responds built against the aisle piers. C15 nave roof with
moulded tie beams and carved bosses. Four richly-moulded arches to the
crossing on semi-octagonal responds with crenellated capitals; C15 roof with
boss. Chancel: south chapel arcade of 2 double-chamfered arches on slender
octagonal piers; north chapel arcade similar. C15 roofs, eastern ends
restored. Fittings: C15 rood screen with slender one-light divisions and
coving with lierne ribs and pendants; restored north chapel screen in same
style. Font has c1300 base with 4 shafts around a column to a C19 octagonal
bowl. Pews to west have some re-used work and one traceried bench end.
Benefactions tablet, dated 1695 and near south door, has broken segmental
pediment. Glass: south aisle windows by Kenpe, and Tower and Kempe.
C12 dug-out chest iron-bound and originally with 10 locks.
Monuments: in south transept a restored wall monument to William 0ughtibridge
(d1728) with concentric inscription in wreath with flowers and angels, signed
'T. Oughtibridge, engraver'. In north transept a plain table tomb with
panelled sides; on piers nearby are several early C18 cartouches.
South chapel: table tomb with shields in cusped lozenges, also C18 and C19
wall monuments including a broken-pedimented plaque to Mrs. Judith Jackson
(d1728). North chapel: standing monument to John Hatfield (d1698) also
wall monument to the Hatfield family, John (d1767), Susannah (d1765), et al,
in the tori of an aedicule with broken pediment beneath flat obelisk with

Listing NGR: SE6630109586

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.