This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5422 / 53°32'31"N
Longitude: -1.225 / 1°13'29"W
OS Eastings: 451455
OS Northings: 405338
OS Grid: SE514053
Mapcode National: GBR MWWG.LY
Mapcode Global: WHDD1.47YB
Plus Code: 9C5WGQRG+V2
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 5 June 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192644
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334555
Location: Marr, Doncaster, DN5
Civil Parish: Marr
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bilham
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SE50NW MARR CHURCH LANE
5/134 Church of St. Helen
Church. C12 origin, tower added and rest remodelled C13-early C14, C15 additions
of south porch, tower parapet and spire. Rubble limestone, stone slate roofs. West
tower, 2-bay nave with south aisle and porch, 2-bay chancel. Tower: chamfered
plinth, quoins. Lean-to overlaps embraced north and south sides of lower stage.
Offset buttresses flank 2 lancet windows on west side. Paired lancets to southern
overlap. Chamfered rectangular slits to 2nd stage. Offset beneath paired, ogee-
headed belfry openings with louvres. String course with gargoyles beneath embattled,
ashlar parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles. Recessed octagonal spire with
weathervane. Nave: Perpendicular south porch with transverse arches to ashlar roof,
south door within has moulded, pointed arch. 3-light window on right has cavetto-
moulded mullions and Tudor-arched lights, hoodmould with large, lozenge-shaped stops;
2-light window on its right with ogee-headed lights in deeply-chamfered recess.
North wall has some herringbone masonry and blocked, square-headed doorway; renewed
3-light window to its east has Decorated tracery. Ashlar chimney and east gable
copings with cross. Chancel: lower. Priest's door has 2 lancet windows on left,
partly-blocked lancet over. Ogee-headed, single-light window on right with blocked
lancet beyond. East window of 3 Tudor-arched lights with simple hoodmould. East
gable copings with cross.
Interior: double-quadrant moulded tower arch, the inner order on cylindrical responds
with moulded capitals. Double-chamfered arches from tower to north and south embrasures.
2-bay south arcade with broad quadrant mould cutting off the corners of square pier,
moulded capitals; double-chamfered, pointed arches with damaged figure in north
spandrel beneath ogee-headed niche; painted decoration to eastern arch. C19 roof
structure. Double-chamfered chancel arch with broach stops. Ogee-headed piscinas in
chancel and south aisle. Font: broach stops to square base, shaft with attached
columns, octagonal bowl. Good, early pulpit-with corner shafts and initals 'C.B.'
above urns with 3 fleur-de-lys. Benefactions board in south aisle and Royal Arms of
George II, "1796 T. CURTIS PINXI". Brass in chancel to John Lewis (d.1579) and wife.
C17 wall monument to Edward Lewys in the form of a draped Ionic aedicule with arms
Listing NGR: SE5145205337
Other nearby listed buildings