This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4286 / 53°25'43"N
Longitude: -1.3564 / 1°21'23"W
OS Eastings: 442859
OS Northings: 392620
OS Grid: SK428926
Mapcode National: GBR LXZS.4N
Mapcode Global: WHDDK.42BV
Entry Name: Talbot Lane Methodist Church
Listing Date: 19 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192669
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335701
Location: Rotherham, S60
Electoral Ward/Division: Boston Castle
Built-Up Area: Rotherham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Rotherham
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK4292 ROTHERHAM SHIP HILL
9/66 Talbot Lane
Church. 1903 by Morley and Son of Bradford (Rotherham Advertiser). Thinly-
coursed sandstone, ashlar dressings and spire, graduated slate roof. Reversed
orientation with entrances in east gable having tower with spire to left and
apsidal stair projection to right; 4-bay nave with aisles and transepts, apsidal
chancel with additions to each side, meeting room beneath. Gothic Revival,
geometrical tracery. Tower: 3 stages. Angle buttresses with ashlar offsets and
gablets. Door in east side with hoodmould. 2 string courses beneath 2nd stage
which has 2 tall lancets. 3rd stage has blind panel of 4 cusped openings and
embattled band beneath tall, 2-light, window with leaded lights and 2 orders of
colonnettes in the jambs. Buttresses rise as attached octagonal turrets with
crocketed spirelets to flank crocketed gable above window. Octagonal, ashlar,
spire with 2 string courses below and above lucarnes, weathervane. Entrance gable
set back to right has angle buttress to right rising as octagonal pinnacle. Paired
doorways each in gabled projection flanked by pinnacled buttresses and with granite
colonnettes to pointed arches. Double doors with cusped-panel overlights, gables
with Tudor-flower ornament and finials. 2 string courses continue from tower
beneath 5-light window with 2 king mullions and hoodmould. Stepped 4-light window
to main gable has projecting sill with carved ends and shared hoodmould. Gable
copings with finial. Lower 2-storey apsidal projection to right has door with
hoodmould and string course with buttress rising from it between small 2-light
windows; ashlar parapet with ogee-headed panels. Side walls of nave have buttresses
between bays and string courses below and above paired aisle windows. 3-light
gallery windows with hoodmoulds. Transepts have two 2-light windows beneath
4-light gallery windows. Chancel: 4-light altar window flanked by angled single
lights. Tower to stair projection on north side.
Interior: well preserved. Gallery on 3 sides of nave continuous across transepts,
cast-iron columns. Coved ceiling to side galleries. Bow-string trusses to nave.
Pine pews and gallery balustrade. Art Nouveau electroliers to body of nave,
matching fittings to aisles and galleries. Oak font and pulpit. Oak chancel
fittings with traceried panelling to rear of choir stalls. Altar window by S. Evans
of Smethick (1903). Meeting room below chancel has 2 Art Nouveau fireplaces.
Replaces church destroyed by fire in 1901. Details of competition for the design
in Rotherham Advertiser, May 3rd, 1902, p5.
Listing NGR: SK4285992620
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings