This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4283 / 53°25'41"N
Longitude: -1.3579 / 1°21'28"W
OS Eastings: 442762
OS Northings: 392584
OS Grid: SK427925
Mapcode National: GBR LXYS.TR
Mapcode Global: WHDDK.33N3
Entry Name: Cutlers Arms
Listing Date: 14 April 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390924
English Heritage Legacy ID: 491168
Location: Rotherham, S60
Electoral Ward/Division: Boston Castle
Built-Up Area: Rotherham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Rotherham
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
Public house, built 1907 by Sheffield architect James Wigfull for Wm Stones, brewers. Dressed glazed faience blocks with glazed red brick skirt with Welsh slate roof, built on a narrow site angled away from the frontage to the left. Three and a half bays, two and a half storeys. Modern outer door in second bay from right with stained glass overlight and window to left with single below six panes, all with stained glass. Two first floor windows with slightly arched tops and alternate projecting voussoirs and plain glass. Bay to either side has single large stained glass window with single leaded pane below and fourteen panes above. First floor windows similar with slightly arched tops and alternate projecting voussoirs. Half bay at left hand side with ground floor stained glass window as in central bay. Repeated horizontal projecting banding to ground floor. Half bay has heraldic relief carving over window and "CUTLERS' ARMS" in raised lettering above. Red tile panels containing raised lettering "Wm STONES Ltd" and "CUTLERS ARMS" above ground floor windows on other bays.Bays are separated by projecting pilasters which bear relief armorial carvings at top including Cannon motif and date of 1907. Interrupted decorated parapet bearing "CANNON ALES" in raised lettering over two outer bays. Central bay has three light sash dormer window in roof. South gable elevation is red brick with stone horizontal banding and also has raised lettering of "CUTLERS' ARMS", "Wm STONES Ltd" and "WINES & SPIRITS". All the stained glass is green foliage and yellow flowers in a Art Nouveau style, with central panels with the logos "Cannon Ales", "Wm Stones Ltd", "Wines & Spirits" etc in white on red.
INTERIOR: Lobby with mosaic tile floor and green tiled walls leading to original inner door with brass fittings and stained glass overlight. Front bar has mosaic tile floor under carpet, original cornices and original decorated wooden bar in the corner with stained glass dividing screen to a further bar to the left. This is entered through an original door and contains a quarter-circle wooden bar with original fittings behind. The fireplace is lost but the skirtings and windows are intact: one, at right hand end of room, has been restored to a high standard. To right of front bar, former 'smoke room', now opened out but with original cornices and most of the skirtings. Beyond front bar, rear room partially opened out, with windows to rear, two of which are etched glass sash windows, and original cornices and skirtings. Former serving hatch to this room has been replaced with an extension to the bar using original skirting from the smoke room and matching in style the original bars. Passage to right has green tiled walls up to dado rail, and on the right a half-glazed door and side screen with stained glass overlight, leading to upper floors. The first floor retains much of its original layout with three principal rooms along the front, with two rooms and bathroom to the rear. Fireplaces are lost or replaced, but cornices and skirtings are intact. Top floor not accessed.
There were previous "Cutlers' Arms" on the site before the current building, the first appearing in a Directory of 1825. The pub was rebuilt in 1866, when it became a Stones tied house. The 1907 rebuilding was part of a general rebuilding in Westgate to provide a broader highway into the town to relieve traffic congestion.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings