History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew and St Patrick

A Grade II* Listed Building in Elveden, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.3872 / 52°23'13"N

Longitude: 0.6772 / 0°40'37"E

OS Eastings: 582283

OS Northings: 279942

OS Grid: TL822799

Mapcode National: GBR QC6.B0P

Mapcode Global: VHJG2.P8BB

Plus Code: 9F429MPG+VV

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew and St Patrick

Listing Date: 7 May 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1192876

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275762

Location: Elveden, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP24

County: Suffolk

District: West Suffolk

Civil Parish: Elveden

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Elveden St Andrew and St Patrick

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


TL 87 NW

Church of St Andrew and St Patrick


Church, medieval, restored 1869; major alterations 1904-06 and again 1922 by W.D. Caröe for Edward Guiness, first Viscount Iveagh. The medieval church consists of chancel (now chapel of St. Andrew), nave (now south aisle), west tower and south porch. In 1904 nave, chancel, organ chamber, vestry and west porch were added. In 1922 a free-standing bell-tower was built, linked to the south chapel by a cloister. Flint rubble walling with limestone dressings. Cotswold slated roofs with parapet gables.

The medieval nave has a C12 core; a blocked lancet in the north wall; another reset from south wall. Two north windows and east window inserted mid C14; two hood-moulded square-headed windows and south porch added C15, heavily restored 1869. West tower of c.1421 in three stages on blank-traceried flushwork base, crenellated parapets with pinnacles, mask gargoyles and two-light west window. A simple C14 angle piscina and dropped-cill sedilia. Medieval roofs renewed 1904; nave has a richly-carved tie-beam roof with king-and queen-posts. Caröe's work is a development of the Perpendicular style, but many features are entirely original. Much heavily-carved and embellished ashlar-work, with distinctive elements such as
buttresses, gargoyles and elliptical arch-forms.

Figures of Saints Andrew, Patrick and others stand upon the porch and parapets at south and west sides. Richly carved Perpendicular nave roof of double-hammer beam type, crowded with tiers of angels; the organ, pulpit and choir-stalls also heavily carved. Altar reredos of alabaster is based on that of St. Alban's Abbey; it depicts the Supper at Emmaus, surrounded by niches with the twelve apostles and figures of saints. Also of carved alabaster is the octagonal font.

Much good C19 and C20 stained glass; the east chapel window by Kempe, to Prince Frederick Duleep Singh of Elveden Hall; a south window by Clayton and Bell. The south tower and cloister of 1922 are of ashlar in the Perpendicular style, with vaulted stone ceilings; the tower has much good flushwork and crenellated parapets.

Listing NGR: TL8228379942

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.