This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4861 / 53°29'10"N
Longitude: -1.2735 / 1°16'24"W
OS Eastings: 448305
OS Northings: 399070
OS Grid: SK483990
Mapcode National: GBR MXK4.21
Mapcode Global: WHDD6.DMTT
Entry Name: The Old Hall
Listing Date: 26 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192959
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334812
Location: Denaby, Doncaster, DN12
Civil Parish: Denaby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Mexborough St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29/02/2016
DENABY, Old Denaby,
THE GREEN (north side),
Nos 1 and 2, The Old Hall
Remains of medieval house now 2 dwellings. C15, probably altered C17; extensive C20 alterations. C15 work is deeply-coursed sandstone, otherwise rubble sandstone, red brick and cement render; C20 tile roofs. 2 storeys with partial cellar; 1:2 windows to 1st floor on least-altered north side. North side: No 1, to left: large quoins to a projecting rectangular garderobe turret on left; on right a C20 casement in chamfered, quoined surround below a C20 casement in C15 2-light opening now without mullion but with cusping and square head. Garderobe under continuation of main roof; brick end stack on right. No 2, set forward on right and lower: much rebuilt with remains of raking buttress on left of cellar doorway; lean-to against right return; total of four C20 casements to ground floor; dormers of 2 and 1 lights above; C20 end stack on right. Rear (C20 entrance fronts, facing road): no external features of interest except for garderobe set back on right having chamfered. quoined surrounds to triangular-headed doorways on each floor and slit windows in each side. No 2 has section of chamfered plinth on end wall. There is also a rubble-stone well of unknown date within the grounds of the hall situated to the west of No 2. The Old Hall. Interior: No 1: triangular-headed doorways to each floor of garderobe. 3 wall pcsts visible in 1st-floor south wall; 2 quadrant braces and heavy-scantling studs on east wall. No 2: in present kitchen, a chamfered, square-headed ashlar fireplace in C15 wall which has chamfered plinth on opposite side (to north); also in kitchen blocked wooden-framed doorway. Largely intact until after 1831 when described as "... one of the very few remaining specimens of the houses of the gentry of the superior class in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries" (Hunter, pp 395-6). Reduced to present size before 1854 Ordnance Survey. Seat of the Vavasors, passed to the Reresbys of Thrybergh in the C16.
J. Hunter, South Yorkshire, The History and Topography of the Deanery of Doncaster, 1831.
Survey notes in South Yorkshire County Ancient Monuments and Sites Record, Sheffield, primary index no 458.
Listing NGR: SK4830599070
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings