This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4283 / 51°25'42"N
Longitude: -1.8538 / 1°51'13"W
OS Eastings: 410258
OS Northings: 169935
OS Grid: SU102699
Mapcode National: GBR 3VL.D4F
Mapcode Global: VHB44.TC9D
Entry Name: United Reformed Chapel
Listing Date: 2 November 1977
Last Amended: 29 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192973
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311495
Location: Avebury, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Avebury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
AVEBURY GREEN STREET
SU 16 NW
11/74 United Reformed Chapel
(formerly listed as Avebury Chapel)
United Reformed Chapel. Probably c1707, altered early C19, and school room to rear c1890. Sarsen with brick dressings.and gable, rear extension of brick. Roof tiled. Rectangular cell with entrance in north gable facing street but set behind graveyard. Front altered or rebuilt early C19 to include gallery, and 2 bay brick rear extension to rear, the first bay occupied by extension of chapel, the second a schoolroom. Facade has central arched boarded door and two pointed arched windows either side with 'Y' tracery, and further window above door to gallery. Hoodmoulds over windows. Gallery has high level 2-light side window. Schoolroom has 3 lancets in south gable.
Interior of 3 bays with central reading desk in first bay of brick extension, wainscotted behind. West gallery on timber posts. Simple pews. The building is an example of a dissenter's chapel built after the Five Mile Act of 1665, being above that distance from Calne, Devizes and Marlborough. It is also within the
southern inner and earlier henge monument.
Listing NGR: SU1025869935
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings