History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 1 to 4 and Attached Forge

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Tew, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9567 / 51°57'24"N

Longitude: -1.4229 / 1°25'22"W

OS Eastings: 439753

OS Northings: 228847

OS Grid: SP397288

Mapcode National: GBR 6SR.72Q

Mapcode Global: VHBZB.924T

Entry Name: Numbers 1 to 4 and Attached Forge

Listing Date: 27 August 1956

Last Amended: 18 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1193265

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251864

Location: Great Tew, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Great Tew

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Tew

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Great Tew

Listing Text

GREAT TEW NEW ROAD
SP3928 (West side)
12/53 Nos.1 to 4 (consecutive) and
27/08/56 attached forge
(Formerly listed as Cottages
Nos.1, 2, 3, 4 and 5)

GV II

Row of 5 small houses, now 4 and forge. Probably partly C17, extended and forge
added c.1830. Coursed squared marlstone, rubble and some ashlar dressings;
thatch and Stonesfield-slate roofs with limestone-ashlar stacks. One 3-unit and
four 2-unit plans. 2 storeys. Nos.2 and 3 are probably older and are linked by a
bay containing a wide segmental archway with heavy hood mould and moulded
imposts. Nos.1, to left, and No.4 (formerly Nos.4 and 5) to right are probably
early C19 and have stone-slate roofs with gable parapets. 11-window front of row
has, at ground floor, plank doors, nine 3-light and one 2-light casements all
with moulded stone surrounds, labels and leaded glazing; at first floor,
casements are mostly of 3 lights and some retain leaded glazing. Roof has 5
stacks. C19 wing to rear of No.3 is linked to a 2-storey rubble and Welsh-slate
building of one bay with 3-light leaded casements, which is also linked to the
C19 forge, lying parallel to the row. This is of ashlar with a Stonesfield-slate
roof, and has a large entrance to left, a segmental-arched doorway to right and
a central wood mullioned and transomed window under a flat arch. The roof is
hipped to left and collapsed to right, and has a central ashlar stack. Interiors
not inspected. The later houses may be C18 buildings re-modelled.
(County Sites and Monuments Record).


Listing NGR: SP3975328847

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.