This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9562 / 51°57'22"N
Longitude: -1.4229 / 1°25'22"W
OS Eastings: 439754
OS Northings: 228795
OS Grid: SP397287
Mapcode National: GBR 6SR.72W
Mapcode Global: VHBZB.9345
Entry Name: The Vicarage and Attached Garden Walls
Listing Date: 27 August 1956
Last Amended: 18 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193292
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251866
Location: Great Tew, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Great Tew
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Great Tew
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
GREAT TEW NEW ROAD
SP3928 (West side)
12/55 The Vicarage and attached
27/08/56 garden walls.
(Formerly listed as The
Vicarage. 1696 and 1781 on datestones, re-modelled and extended c.1830 probably
by Thomas Fulljames. Marlstone ashlar and squared rubble with some limestone
dressings; Welsh-slate roofs with limestone-ashlar stacks. T-plan, infilled. 2
storeys plus attic and 3 storeys. 4-window ashlar front, with chamfered plinth
and limestone storey band, has doorway to left of centre with a 6-panel door in
a panelled ashlar porch of c.1800. Windows have 12-pane sashes below flat arches
with projecting marlstone keyblocks, but have applied limestone architraves with
angle rolls and outer sections to the keyblocks; the head of the rectangular
overlight above the porch is similarly treated. The band below the eaves is also
applied. This decoration is probably of c.1830. The left gable wall has 2 blind
windows at first floor plus a datestone in the gable inscribed "GS/1781" within
an oakleaf cartouche. Gables have parapets and stacks. Right face of 3-storey
rubble rear wing, returning to right of centre has a central stair projection
with, to left, 2-light casements, and to right 3-light transomed casements, all
with flat arches, projecting keyblocks and leaded glazing. Datestone is
inscribed "F/W.A/1696". Roof has central ridge stack. Wing is extended by a
single-storey gabled service range. 2-window ashlar range of c.1830, returning
to left, has stone architraves and keyblocks plus a first-floor storey band;
sashes are full-height at ground floor. Interior: rear range has stop chamfered
beams and an open fireplace; interior of former stair projection is curved.
Front range has butt purlin roofs. Garden wall, approx. 3m. high, runs to right
from end of rear wing and returns along the right side of the garden for approx.
30m. The inner face is of coursed squared marlstone ashlar and the outer of
limestone rubble with a 2-course coping weathered outwards. It may be
contemporary with the 1696 building. Thomas Fulljames was consulted about the
vicarage in 1828.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.227; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.626).
Listing NGR: SP3975428795
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings