This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3653 / 51°21'54"N
Longitude: -1.7187 / 1°43'7"W
OS Eastings: 419679
OS Northings: 162948
OS Grid: SU196629
Mapcode National: GBR 4XV.B9M
Mapcode Global: VHC1W.5Y78
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 27 May 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193633
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311874
Location: Wootton Rivers, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Wootton Rivers
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
WOOTTON RIVERS -
SU 16 SE (west side)
6/239 Church of St. Andrew
Anglican parish church. Mid C14, much restored 1861 by
G.E.Street. Flint and sarsen with limestone dressings. Tiled roof
with crested ridges. Shingled spire. Nave and chancel without
chancel arch. South gabled porch with cusped outer arch, restored
to steeper roof in 1861. Two light windows with bar tracery and
quatrefoiled heads in very deep moulded reveals. Low side window
and 3-light reticulated east window, all much restored. Clergy
door on south side. Stone with fleur de lis and date 1589 built
into south wall, and some Roman brick. Coped wall on masked
corbels divides roof of nave and chancel. Mass dial on south-
east window jamb, and bench mark. Timber framed west tower with
quatrefoiled panels carrying short broach spire.
Interior: Roof of 8 bays covering nave and chancel, C19 but
probably restoration of C17 roof; collar beam trusses with cusped
knee braces and cusped windbraces above and below purlins, the roof
underdrawn In boarding for 3 bays of chancel. Open framework on
cast iron columns support east side of tower.
Fittings: Font, C14, limestone bowl with trefoiled arcade and
quatrefoils over. Pulpit, 1861, limestone tub pierced with
trefoils. Low stone chancel screen. Stoup by south door and
piscina on north and south nave walls. Sill of south-east window
in chancel lowered as sedilia. Stone reredos by Street, also
choir stalls. Clock in tower of c1912 has local significance.
Glass in east window of 1871.
Monuments: Eight wall tablets, a small pink marble tablet of 1900
and 7 others of white marble, one of lozenge form, 1 pedimented, to
Jane Brooks, died 1826, and classical tablet to Thomas Wardner,
died 1744. Also monument to Sir Edward Earle, died 1787. Two
Furniture: Book box with carved front, early C18.
Listing NGR: SU1967962948
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings