This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.548 / 51°32'52"N
Longitude: -1.1376 / 1°8'15"W
OS Eastings: 459897
OS Northings: 183589
OS Grid: SU598835
Mapcode National: GBR 91M.TFK
Mapcode Global: VHCYW.7CG4
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 9 February 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193919
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248028
Location: South Stoke, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG8
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: South Stoke
Built-Up Area: South Stoke
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: South Stoke
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SOUTH STOKE THE STREET
10/144 (East side)
09/02/59 Church of St. Andrew
Church. C13, with C14 alterations; south aisle widened and arcade rebuit in
restoration of c.1857 by J.B. Clancy; south porch possibly by Charles
Buckeridge, c.1869. Flint and stone with stone dressings to tower; colourwashed
flint and stone with stone dressings to nave; roughcast, probably on flint and
stone to chancel; knapped flint with stone dressings to south porch; recent
plain-tile roof; roof to tower not visible. Aisled 3-bay nave, chancel and west
tower. C19 porch to left of centre of south aisle with 2-centred archway with
hood mould and C19 double wood gates. Trefoil openings to sides. Internal
segmental arcade to sides. 2-centred arched doorway with hood mould and carved
end stops. C19 studded door. 2-light stone window with Perpendicular tracery
with flat head and hood mould. Triple-lancet window to right of centre with flat
head and hood mould. 2-light Y-tracery window to right. Lancet to right return
of south aisle. Chancel: 2-centred arched doorway with C19 plank door to centre.
2-light window with Reticulated tracery to left, 2-light window with Y-tracery
to right. 3-light east window with Reticulated tracery. Rear of chancel; 2
lancets. Lancet to left return of north aisle, 2-centred arched moulded doorway
to centre of north aisle with C19 plank door with wrought-iron hinges. 2-light
windows with Reticulated tracery to left and right. Lancet to right return of
north aisle. Tower: square with angle buttresses. 3-light window with
Perpendicular tracery to west side. Rectangular window to each side, except to
east. 2-light louvred openings of Perpendicular tracery to each side of tower.
Battlemented parapet. Interior: piscina to right of chancel. C19 stained glass
end good series of C17 and C18 wall monuments to chancel. C14 Early English
2-centred chancel arch on cluster columns, hood mould with foliate ends to nave
side. C14 canopied image niches supported by brackets on carved heads to north
and south aisles. Fragmentary painted inscription to north aisle.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.773-4).
Listing NGR: SU5989783589
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings