This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6859 / 52°41'9"N
Longitude: -1.8311 / 1°49'52"W
OS Eastings: 411511
OS Northings: 309813
OS Grid: SK115098
Mapcode National: GBR 3C9.RVF
Mapcode Global: WHCGN.VR69
Entry Name: The Deanery and Attached Gate
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Last Amended: 17 June 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194879
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382796
Location: Lichfield, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13
Civil Parish: Lichfield
Built-Up Area: Lichfield
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
SK1109NE THE CLOSE
1094-1/5/228 (North side)
05/02/52 The Deanery and attached gate
(Formerly Listed as:
The Deanery (St Chad's School))
Deanery. c1707 with substantial alterations of 1807-8, and
alterations of 1876, 1893 and 1974.
Brick with ashlar dressings; hipped tile roof with 2 brick
stacks. Double-depth plan. Queen Anne style.
2 storeys; symmetrical 7-window range, 3-window centre
breaking forward under pediment. Moulded ashlar coping to
plinth, platt band with roll mould over ground floor and top
modillioned timber cornice. Windows have sills, and rubbed
brick flat arches over (probably early C19) 12-pane sashes.
Right return has platt band and cornice. Entrance to right end
has doorcase with fluted Tuscan pilasters, entablature and
segmental pediment, bolection-moulded architrave to
half-glazed door (said to be moved from front, but this is
disputed by Drury); iron lantern; blocked entrance to left end
and blocked windows, one to each floor has 12-pane sash.
Left return has cornice and rebuilt left end and
segmental-headed casement and sashed window to ground floor, 2
cross-casements to 1st floor and 2 flat-roofed dormers to
attic. Rear has 1974 rebuilt wall and single-storey addition
to right , C19 single-storey wing, part converted to garage,
to left of tall stair window with small-paned glazing, part a
top-hung casement; 16-pane 1st floor sashes and 3 flat-roofed
dormers to attic. C18 gate attached to C19 wing has rebuilt
brick piers with pointed oval finials and rich wrought iron
gate with piers and overthrow.
INTERIOR has early C19 detail, including fireplace, cornices,
doorways, and round arches connecting 2 front rooms; entrance
hall has plain chamfered panelling, possibly early C18, in 5
1/2 tiers; stair hall has elliptical arch to right; open-well
stair, altered in early C19 and 1974, has cut string and soft
wood treads, twisted-column-on-vase balusters, turned newels
and moulded and ramped handrail; 1st floor has room to right
with bolection-moulded fireplace, frieze and cornice; room to
centre has break in ceiling level and cornice, and re-used C17
cupboard door; room to left has C19 fireplace with cast-iron
Although much altered, the house retains an impressive facade
and some interior features of interest.
(Victoria History of the County of Stafford: Greenslade M W:
Lichfield: Oxford: 1990-: P.62; Drury P: The Capitular Estate
of Dean and Chapter of Lichfield Cathedral: 1987-).
Listing NGR: SK1151109813
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings