This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0492 / 54°2'57"N
Longitude: -2.806 / 2°48'21"W
OS Eastings: 347327
OS Northings: 461775
OS Grid: SD473617
Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.96
Mapcode Global: WH846.WH04
Entry Name: 8, Castle Park
Listing Date: 22 December 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194941
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383080
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4761NW CASTLE PARK
1685-1/6/48 (South side)
House. Mid C18, raised 1854. Sandstone ashlar with ashlar
dressings, and slate roof with gable chimney stacks.
Double-depth plan with a rear wing to the left, which may have
been altered from a former stable. 3 storeys above a cellar,
and 2 wide bays with chamfered quoins, nosed sill courses on
the first and second floors and a moulded eaves cornice. All
the openings have moulded architraves. The windows have large
16-pane sashes, and the doorway has a recessed door with
fielded panels including a concave-sided hollow diamond in the
lower half, an upper glazed panel, and an overlight with
glazing bars forming a pattern based on a pointed oval.
Because of the sequence of raising the party walls to
accommodate an extra storey, the top storey appears to be
offset about 50cm to the left, overlapping the gable of No.10
(qv), which has only 2 storeys, and overlapped in its turn by
the front wall of No.6 (qv).
INTERIOR: reeded architraves to doorways. A dogleg open-string
staircase with stick balusters and mahogany handrail, up to
the first floor, with a rib-vaulted ceiling at landing level.
An earlier staircase from the first to the second floors, not
continuous with the first staircase and perhaps moved upstairs
when the house was raised, with 2 slender turned balusters per
HISTORY: the title deeds include a plan and notes for 'taking
down a part of this dwelling house... and built and reared the
additional height, Nov. 3rd 1854'. The earliest deed, of 1753,
is a mortgage by Thomas Mackrel, barber and peruke maker, who
had inherited a moiety of 'one messuage or dwelling house, one
maltkiln, one stable...etc'.
Listing NGR: SD4732861766
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings